Spray Paint & Image Transfer Leather For a Thrift Store Makeover

$15
When I spied this old 1950's leather brief case in my local thrift store for just a few pounds. I couldn't resist buying it as it reminded me of the one my grandma used to take to work.

Even though the old leather bag was from a different era it was the perfect size for my lap top.
The bag was sitting in my loft and I had kind of forgotten about it until I spied a gorgeous bright yellow D&G handbag in a magazine with a bright red watermelon graphic on it. This sparked an idea for me to transform the bag.
I covered the bits of the bag I didn't want to be painted with painters tape.
I spray painted the whole bag with leather paint primer.
Once dried I then spray painted the bag a citrus yellow.
I wanted it to be bright and bold.
Instead of the watermelon graphic, I decided that I wanted a Scarlet Macaw on my bag. I found the vintage bird images I needed on the internet (link on the blog).

I then printed the birds on dark T-shirt transfer paper (like this here). I then cut out the images.
Following the instructions that came with the transfer paper, I ironed the macaws onto the back and front of the bag.
The handle of the bag was a bit knackered so I wrapped a red ribbon around it and glued it in place for extra support. I also added a colorful pom pom to complete the look.

I love my new laptop back, it's just so bright and summery and really stands out. I can't wait to take it to my next blogging conference.
I love to use spray paints on fabric it is a quick and easy way to get a fantastic colorful transformation. You should check out my colorful spray painted floor lamp here.
Claire at Pillarboxblue

Questions on this post

Your question...

Comments

2 comments
Next