Spray Paint & Image Transfer Leather For a Thrift Store Makeover

$15

When I spied this old 1950's leather brief case in my local thrift store for just a few pounds. I couldn't resist buying it as it reminded me of the one my grandma used to take to work.

Even though the old leather bag was from a different era it was the perfect size for my lap top.
The bag was sitting in my loft and I had kind of forgotten about it until I spied a gorgeous bright yellow D&G handbag in a magazine with a bright red watermelon graphic on it. This sparked an idea for me to transform the bag.
I covered the bits of the bag I didn't want to be painted with painters tape.
I spray painted the whole bag with leather paint primer.
Once dried I then spray painted the bag a citrus yellow.
I wanted it to be bright and bold.
Instead of the watermelon graphic, I decided that I wanted a Scarlet Macaw on my bag. I found the vintage bird images I needed on the internet (link on the blog).

I then printed the birds on dark T-shirt transfer paper (like this here). I then cut out the images.
Following the instructions that came with the transfer paper, I ironed the macaws onto the back and front of the bag.
The handle of the bag was a bit knackered so I wrapped a red ribbon around it and glued it in place for extra support. I also added a colorful pom pom to complete the look.

I love my new laptop back, it's just so bright and summery and really stands out. I can't wait to take it to my next blogging conference.
I love to use spray paints on fabric it is a quick and easy way to get a fantastic colorful transformation. You should check out my colorful spray painted floor lamp here.

These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
Copy One Of These Lovely Lattice Ideas For Your Home
The Top 9 Kitchen Countertop Makeovers People Are Doing Now
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
Use Ribbon To Decorate For Christmas With These Last Minute Ideas!
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
The Cutest Ways to Decorate Your Front Porch for Easter!
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
Claire at Pillarboxblue