Spray Paint & Image Transfer Leather For a Thrift Store Makeover

$15

When I spied this old 1950's leather brief case in my local thrift store for just a few pounds. I couldn't resist buying it as it reminded me of the one my grandma used to take to work.

Even though the old leather bag was from a different era it was the perfect size for my lap top.
The bag was sitting in my loft and I had kind of forgotten about it until I spied a gorgeous bright yellow D&G handbag in a magazine with a bright red watermelon graphic on it. This sparked an idea for me to transform the bag.
I covered the bits of the bag I didn't want to be painted with painters tape.
I spray painted the whole bag with leather paint primer.
Once dried I then spray painted the bag a citrus yellow.
I wanted it to be bright and bold.
Instead of the watermelon graphic, I decided that I wanted a Scarlet Macaw on my bag. I found the vintage bird images I needed on the internet (link on the blog).

I then printed the birds on dark T-shirt transfer paper (like this here). I then cut out the images.
Following the instructions that came with the transfer paper, I ironed the macaws onto the back and front of the bag.
The handle of the bag was a bit knackered so I wrapped a red ribbon around it and glued it in place for extra support. I also added a colorful pom pom to complete the look.

I love my new laptop back, it's just so bright and summery and really stands out. I can't wait to take it to my next blogging conference.
I love to use spray paints on fabric it is a quick and easy way to get a fantastic colorful transformation. You should check out my colorful spray painted floor lamp here.

30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
3 Absolutely Adorable Ways To Display Your Plants
18 Wintery Wreath Ideas That You'll Want To Make For Your Home
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Amazing Projects To Help Make Your Home Look Fabulous
Transform Tuna Cans Into Gorgeous Lighting In 10 Simple Steps
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
Claire at Pillarboxblue