Pebble Mosaics Pond

$20

I wanted a little pond in my garden so I collected pebbles from a beach and made one. Unfortunately I didn't pick enough pebbles so I had to use stones that I found in may garden as well. Luckily the soil is full of them so it was not a problem!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
pebbles and stones
After I had collected pebbles at the beach I started to sort the pebbles according to their color. My son helped me with this.
pebbles and stones
Then I cleared the surface where I decided to place the pebble mosaics and the pond. I put some old brick to mark the border between the surroundings. Then I put some sand mixed with dry cement on the ground and sprinkled some water over it so it became damp. Then I started to place the pebbles on top of the sand/cement. When I had done a piece I poured more dry cement powder over the pebbles and stones and watered it with a spray bottle, so that the cement powder got wet and the stones clean.
pebbles and stones
After that I continued with the next piece and did the same thing. When I came to the place I wanted to fill with water I put some waterproof rubber cloth on the sand mixture and instead of dry cement powder I mixed the cement powder with water (as is the normal procedure when using cement). I did that because I realized that it was impossible to keep the pebbles in place when the surface was not horizontal.
pebbles and stones
The neighbor's cat wasn't really interested...
pebbles and stones
This is how it ended up!
pebbles and stones
In these pictures I hadn't filled the pond with water yet because the cement needed to dry a bit longer.
pebbles and stones
A final picture!

• Valerie jones

Love this idea!!! I’m wondering if the water will be circulated or not. Will algae/bacteria grow? Will it be a source for mosquitos? Are you going to add koi fish?

• Mar20825882

Feeder fish from the pet store basically little goldfish meant to be fed to lizards etc. Cheaper and would eat the mmosquitoes

• Linda Abernathy

I LOVE IT! Seldom do I see something that inspires me so much. I agree to show it filled or its it just for rain water? You are very talented, so much work involved with this!

• SavvyGal

What an interesting project to use for your beach collection of pebbles. Beautiful and a constant reminder of your memories. How long did it take to complete this beautiful pond, from start to finish?

• Bmi32050820

Love love it! My favorite things are mosaics and water features. I truly admire you patience. Creativity and hard work. Beautiful!!!!

• Carole Conroy Chalmers

That is beautiful and so inspiring. I want one beside my patio