How to Build a Greenhouse

$750
2 Weeks
Advanced

I have desired my own greenhouse to extend our growing season. And I’ve dreamed of just how to build a greenhouse on our homestead for quite awhile. Probably for as long as we’ve been on this homestead journey! This last spring my husband finally listened to all of my hints and started to build my dream greenhouse.
My loving husband decided to build the greenhouse in the shop and move it over to its new location once he finished.
FYI, if you go this route, it is very heavy and will take a lot of man power to move it. :)
After he measured and cut the pieces, his first step was to build the base and then frame for the wall. Once he built the wall frames, he attached them to the base using those 3″ deck screws.
He found an old screen door that my mother in law was no longer using and trimmed the door frame to make it fit. Then he added the rafters.
And because he’s extra sweet, he painted it all white for me. What a guy I have! Next, he started adding the plastic sheeting, secured with screws. This sheeting came in 8′ pieces so he cut them to size.
To give it a little more stability, he added scrap pieces of wood on the arches in the rafters.
For the vent, he just measured the space between the rafters and made two of these pieces to fit.
From the inside, the vents are being supported by this metal sheet and pin so I can easily open and close it to my height preference.
He secured the greenhouse in the ground with these metal rods that are welded into t’s, one on each side.
Lastly, he added an 10′ rain cap to the top of the roof to keep the rain out.
The complete instructions and measurements are on the blog link posted.

• (12) 8′ long, 6 mm greenhouse polycarbonate sheets  (Menards and Lowes)
  • (4) 16′ 2×4  (Lumber Yard)
  • (4) 16′ 4×4  (Lumber Yard)

Marywoita

• Cherry

Very nice work. Would love to have it. But reminds me of that crazy NANNY movie!
  • Janice

Great job!! Think I will try this but on a smaller scale..