Make a Recycled Tire Ottoman

2 materials
$50
Create a beachy, boho and rustic look of sisal or rope stools, with this fun DIY project made from an upcycled old tire.

It’s bouncy but firm, so it’s great to hold a tray of goodies like drinks or books, and it also works as a footstool or extra seating.

First, find an old, small tire and drill some holes around the center like this.
Next, thread your thick sisal rope through the drilled holes in the tire to create a webbed center. Just like this.
(I used some sisal rope from The Home Depot.)
To create this knit / woven look, hand crochet a chain with about 8-9 rolls of the thick sisal rope.
If you don’t know how to create a crochet chain, watch the video on my blog for some guidance.
Using a large glue gun and strong glue, start spiraling and gluing the crochet chain to the rope at the center of the tire as shown above. Use a generous amount of glue and press the rope down firmly until the glue cools as you go.

Continue spiraling the rope over the tire until you’ve covered the entire top and sides of the tire.
Your upcycled tire ottoman is complete!

• Old tire
  • Sisal rope   (The Home Depot)
Christina Dennis

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 6 questions

Comments

2 of 29 comments
Next