DeeDee
DeeDee
  • Decatur, TX

DIY Perfect Baseboards

$40

As promised, I'm back with more of our Entry Hall Makeover. Today I'm going to attempt to tell/show you how to get your very own perfect baseboards with the perfectly finished off ends.
diy perfect baseboards
We are not pros by any means, total DIY people here.  Everything we do we look up on Pinterest, YouTube and Hometalk of course!  If you don't already know, those three sites are the best for the DIY types. *wink*
diy perfect baseboards
A few weeks ago my honey installed our nice new wood look tile floor and of course it was beautiful so we couldn't leave the bottom edge of the wall exposed like this for very long.  We wanted to add the baseboards back so it would look finished and gorgeous.  Check it out HERE for how we did the floor tile.
diy perfect baseboards
You will need to choose the type of baseboard look you're going for first.  We chose a very simple look.  The baseboard itself with a quarter round finish.  This is two separate pieces of wood.  You will also need a chop saw like you see above, or just a miter saw will work.  The reason being, you will need to be able to cut the wood pieces at an angle and it is much easier with the chop saw or a miter saw.
diy perfect baseboards
Here you can see the tall flat pieces (baseboard) up against the wall and then the skinnier rounded pieces (quarter round) touching the base board and the floor.  My honey's method was to make all the cuts first and lay everything out for what it would look like, then nail everything into place.
diy perfect baseboards
See the before picture above?  This is what we ended up with when he was all done cutting all the pieces to size.  He was NOT happy with that look and he wanted it to look more finished off.

The after picture is what he ended up with after reading the very informative article we found online.  So much better huh?

Visit our blog at the link below to get the step by step trick to perfect baseboards!
diy perfect baseboards
Here are the pieces before they are joined together.  You will need to add a bit of white caulk to the end cap before nailing it in to place, this will help secure it.  Next step is nailing it all in place.  We used our nail gun for a speedier process, but you can also use the old fashioned hammer and nails as well.

diy perfect baseboards
Look how nice and finished off those ends look now.  After these are painted, they will be perfect!
diy perfect baseboards
To finish off your baseboards completely, you will want to use a white paintable caulk.  Run a very small bead of caulk along all the open gaps.  With a damp finger, run your finger along the caulk bead to smooth it out.  Wipe excess into the nail holes and then if needed, have a damp cloth in your hand for any unneeded caulk.
diy perfect baseboards
Gorgeous!  All I have left to do is put a nice fresh coat of white paint on them and we'll be golden!
diy perfect baseboards
Fresh paint for everything coming up and some new decor too! Stay tuned!

Visit our blog HERE for more details!
DeeDee

• Leeanne
    Yesterday

What did you use on your walls for the stucco look? Everything looks great! Floors, baseboards and walls!

• DeeDee
      10 hours ago

Thank you so much Leeanne! My FIL did the texture on the walls and he used a pre-made wall texture mud. :)

• Susan
    Yesterday

What color paint did you use on your door. I have been looking for that exact color. I have failed twice so far.

• DeeDee
      10 hours ago

Hi Susan! I'm so sorry that I can not tell you because the door was already painted when we moved in. :)

• Nice job, very neat. What's the furry creature without a head?