Donna Powell
Donna Powell
  • Seymour, TN

Repurposed Bath Vanity to Custom Furniture Cabinet

$50

Two years ago a tree fell on our home and did over $40,000 worth of damage. One of the pieces I was able to save from our master bathroom was the 10' long custom bath vanity. We have finally repurposed the bath vanity in to a custom furniture cabinet for our family room.
repurposed bath vanity to custom furniture cabinet
Originally the bath vanity was stained in a dark brown with golden undertones. I didn't want to keep that look so I first repainted the base cabinet in Relic chalk paint by DecoArt and finished up with a coat of dark creme wax from DecoArt as well.
My husband rebuilt the damaged back and side panels of the vanity and made a custom wood slate top. I then stained the top in MinWax Polyshades stain in Espresso.
I really didn't want the piece to look like we just painted a bath cabinet and put it in another room, so my husband also cut out 4" x 4" wood blocks to look like furniture feet and to camouflage the original toe kick of the bath vanity.
After two years of moving this cabinet from room to room during the construction and repair of our home, and then again during our own renovation projects in the family room, this custom furniture cabinet finally has a permanent home.
We purchased new cabinet hardware from Home Depot to complete the new look of the cabinet. Eventually the cabinet will hold a new TV in the family room.

• DecoArt Chalk Paint and Wax  (Michaels)
  • 2 x 6 Wood Boards  (Home Depot)
  • Cabinet Hardware  (Home Depot)
Donna Powell