Vintage Door Painted Poppy Makeover

$100
Advanced

I was inspired by a door I saw on Pinterest somewhere that was painted with a tall flower, so when I asked my artist friend if she'd like to do something like this on a vintage painted door, she obliged.
We started with an ordinary vintage door found at a garage sale.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Here's the old door and with all that old paint on it, I had a feeling there could be lead paint involved, so I was careful to use a mask when sanding it back.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Here it is after a good sanding with a couple of layers of paint showing through. We had a smooth surface though, and that is what we needed for the next step - painting the background for the artwork.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
I used some old Chalk Paint I had lying around and then added Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Ironstone over the top to create our canvas!
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Dana, my beautiful friend who is a talented artist, began sketching out the poppies that we had decided on, to be the flower of choice for this project.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Once the sketch was all done, and Dana was happy with placement, she was able to start painting using her acrylic art paints.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Here's a progress pic of Dana painting the lower poppy.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Note the GoPro camera set up here? We actually recorded a time lapse of Dana painting the poppy which turned out amazing and you can see that over on my youtube channel or via the blog link here in this post.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Tada!! Here's the finished door. I'm so happy how it turned out. Since this picture, I've also added some coat hooks across the centre board.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
Here's a close up of the lower poppy.
vintage door painted poppy makeover
I hope you've enjoyed this post and see the potential in those old vintage doors that you come across at garage sales and markets.
If you'd like to see the time lapse video, click HERE.

I Restore Stuff

• Sam

that is pretty darn cool! i even liked it when it was just the pencil on the door!

great idea!

• Miss Daisy

GORGEOUS !!!!!!!!!!