Vintage Door Painted Poppy Makeover

$100
Advanced

I was inspired by a door I saw on Pinterest somewhere that was painted with a tall flower, so when I asked my artist friend if she'd like to do something like this on a vintage painted door, she obliged.
We started with an ordinary vintage door found at a garage sale.
Here's the old door and with all that old paint on it, I had a feeling there could be lead paint involved, so I was careful to use a mask when sanding it back.
Here it is after a good sanding with a couple of layers of paint showing through. We had a smooth surface though, and that is what we needed for the next step - painting the background for the artwork.
I used some old Chalk Paint I had lying around and then added Miss Mustard Seed's Milk Paint in Ironstone over the top to create our canvas!
Dana, my beautiful friend who is a talented artist, began sketching out the poppies that we had decided on, to be the flower of choice for this project.
Once the sketch was all done, and Dana was happy with placement, she was able to start painting using her acrylic art paints.
Here's a progress pic of Dana painting the lower poppy.
Note the GoPro camera set up here? We actually recorded a time lapse of Dana painting the poppy which turned out amazing and you can see that over on my youtube channel or via the blog link here in this post.
Tada!! Here's the finished door. I'm so happy how it turned out. Since this picture, I've also added some coat hooks across the centre board.
Here's a close up of the lower poppy.
I hope you've enjoyed this post and see the potential in those old vintage doors that you come across at garage sales and markets.
If you'd like to see the time lapse video, click HERE.

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
These Stunning Seating Ideas Will Blow You Away
3 Wonderful Ways You Can Upcycle Old Windows
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
I Restore Stuff

• Sandy Przy

What a talented lady! Her work made a masterpiece out of your door!! Beautiful!

• Nora Dolan

Drop dead gorgeous!!!

• Kaci

Your friend is a really talented artist. Her ability to get the scale right for the door, and her use of color and the ability to capture the poppies was really spot-on. Congratulations! Did she do the work as a gift to you, or did you pay her for the work?