Tamara S
Tamara S
  • Toughkenamon, PA

Mosaic in Bathroom

Tired of boring Backsplash-put in a Mosaic. And if you install it on plywood and screw it into place you can change it out if you move or tire of the design!
This took two weeks, piecing together after dinner each night!
I used old tiles, a few glass marbles and some new tiles we have been experimenting with.  Next on to the Kitchen for the hand made tiles my daughter-in-law and I have been making!
I used old tiles, a few glass marbles and some new tiles we have been experimenting with. Next on to the Kitchen for the hand made tiles my daughter-in-law and I have been making!

• Susan Veldez

This is gorgeous! I'd love to have a tutorial on it.

• Tamara S

Susan it was simple mosaic tiling on plywood cut to fit in the space. I used broken tiles, glass rounds, and broken dishes and Weldbond glue. I measured the area and cut the plywood to fit. Then I planned out the design on the plywood and penciled it in-truth be told I improvised a bit on the elements as I went. While working on it the grandkids mentioned their favorite reef fish was the frog fish, so I added him. To get some of the ideas and my frog fish right, I downloaded kids coloring pages. These simple design work well on Mosiacs. Then I used non-sanded grey grout over the whole surface. When it was dry, I found the studs and screwed it into the wall with sliver screws to try and match the grout color. The only issue was the wall-plug was now below the tiled surface, but Home Depot has these plug cushions and longer screws you can use to put the electrical face plates back on top of the tile. I recently ordered a shower curtain with a large Octopus on it and the youngest grandson called me into the bathroom while he was using it-to tell me he felt like he was under the sea! Best compliment-ever!!!!Susan it was simple mosaic tiling on plywood cut to fit in the space. I used broken tiles, glass rounds, and broken dishes and Weldbond glue. I measured the area and cut the plywood to fit. Then I planned out the design on the plywood and penciled it in-truth be told I improvised a bit on the elements as I went. While working on it the grandkids mentioned their favorite reef fish was the frog fish, so I added him. To get some of the ideas and my frog fish right, I downloaded kids coloring pages. These simple design work well on Mosiacs. Then I used non-sanded grey grout over the whole surface. When it was dry, I found the studs and screwed it into the wall with sliver screws to try and match the grout color. The only issue was the wall-plug was now below the tiled surface, but Home Depot has these plug cushions and longer screws you can use to put the electrical face plates back on top of the tile. I recently ordered a shower curtain with a large Octopus on it and the youngest grandson called me into the bathroom while he was using it-to tell me he felt like he was under the sea! Best compliment-ever!!!!

• Tamara S

Susan it was simple mosaic tiling on plywood cut to fit in the space. I used broken tiles, glass rounds, and broken dishes and Weldbond glue. I measured the area and cut the plywood to fit. Then I planned out the design on the plywood and penciled it in-truth be told I improvised a bit on the elements as I went. While working on it the grandkids mentioned their favorite reef fish was the frog fish, so I added him. To get some of the ideas and my frog fish right, I downloaded kids coloring pages. These simple design work well on Mosiacs. Then I used non-sanded grey grout over the whole surface. When it was dry, I found the studs and screwed it into the wall with sliver screws to try and match the grout color. The only issue was the wall-plug was now below the tiled surface, but Home Depot has these plug cushions and longer screws you can use to put the electrical face plates back on top of the tile. I recently ordered a shower curtain with a large Octopus on it and the youngest grandson called me into the bathroom while he was using it-to tell me he felt like he was under the sea! Best compliment-ever!!!!