DIY Farmhouse Style Storage "Bins"

$5
1 Day

I found a plain wire kitchen rack (the kind that goes on the back of a cupboard door) and decided to give it a full transformation as farmhouse style "bins" to use in my home office. Click HERE for the full tutorial and all the DIY steps!
I found this plain wire kitchen rack at the thrift store. It probably once lived on the back of a cupboard door to hold spices and such...but I had a very different idea in mind!
It needed "backing" of some sort (a stand-in for a cupboard door). So, I took a plank of reclaimed wood, measured out how much I'd need, and cut three equal-length pieces.
I attached two small lengths of scrap wood to the back with screws that were long enough to penetrate the reclaimed wood, but not too long to go all the way through.
But back to my wire rack! I gave it a quick makeover with some farmhouse/industrial spray paint- something dark and metallic to stand out against my reclaimed wood.
While the paint dried, I installed a hanging wire on the back of the wooden backing I had made earlier.
And then I attached the shelf to the wood! ( Find out how I did it HERE! ) . It will live in my home office and help me keep my desk clear of clutter.

15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
Get The Party Started With These Perfect DIY Decor Ideas
3 Creative Eye Catching Rug Projects That No One Else Has!
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
Beautify Your Home With These Flower Ideas
16 Stunning Sign Ideas You Can Make for Your Home
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
Sadie Seasongoods

• Birdz of a Feather

Hi Sarah - I always look forward to your projects! Was the basket covered in that plastic coating or was it powder coated? How do you find the paint stands up on it? I have a few pieces I'd love to update like this but I'm wondering if the paint is durable or if it's prone to nicks and scratching? I guess it depends on the substrate so I'm really curious to know
  • Mauveline

How did you attach the rack to board? I couldnt Find that info link

• Adele

The only thing I cant understand is how she hung it onto the board. Theres no holes in the rack to hang it.

• Missy

Did you paint the aqua phone ? I have an old phone like that but a discolored white one. I LOVE yours !!!

• Ella

As a teen in the 1960's I had a aqua " princess" phone exactly like the one in your picture? Thanks for the memories !

• Carol Cole

I have been trying to find some(a certain size) that would fit in a certain place in my bathroom, but boy are they hard to find.