Lauren
Lauren
  • Tutorial Team
  • Zephyrhills, FL

Toilet Seat Screwdown

$3

Not exciting, but a quick way to save a $20 Bill.. Works for me..
Who Broke this?
Who Broke this?
Yep, Wiggle, Wiggle, Wiggle, And I like this seat and could not find a replacement with the same design.. So, lets see how this goes!
I need these things for sure
I need these things for sure
Gathered some items that would be needed.. Wood Filler, I know I will be making boo boos somewhere.. A 3/8 Drill bit and some wooden dowels for plugs. (Do not ask what they were in their previous life..) I can tell you that there is something in the house that has a shorter handle.. And some Yellow Glue and White Spray Paint
toilet seat screwdown
The hard part is easy, There are already guide holes to aim the bit into.. and I tried not to drill all the way through, well I tried not too. I did use a block of scrap wood under the other side, just in case.
toilet seat screwdown
Cover the wood plugs with the yellow glue and insert into the holes.. And if there is too much area open, fill with Plastic Wood Putty.. let dry. I wiped it off a bit while it was wet so as not to have a too big area to sand and clean when it dried..
toilet seat screwdown
The Bracket I repaired is the on the Right side.. It would have done well with one more coat of wood putty, but since it is under the bracket, I did not worry about looks.. after a coat or two of Rust-oleum White Spray Paint.. It is all good again..
toilet seat screwdown
Covered the opening with a towel in case a screw went flying.. and re mounted the seat brackets..
toilet seat screwdown
Photo Op! so much better now..

• Yellow Glue  (Workshop)
  • Wooden Dowel plugs  (don't ask)
  • Plastic Wood Putty, and sandpaper  (Workshop)

• Jeannie Herman

I love the top of the toilet lid...which is probably why you wanted to keep it...where did you purchase it??
    • Wxw

If you have a wooden toilet seat (not sure how this would work on plastic) and a router or other means to create grooves, you could create this lid yourself. Needed: a wooden lid, router, sand paper and spray paint. Your design is only limited to your imagination and budget for a new seat! My husband would say I am crazy . . . , but a girl wants what a girl wants. There is always a way. Good luck.

• Jo Ann Puri

I got lost in the screwing a hole and filling all holes with plugs and glue. Did you end up screwing into the plugs when putting it all back together?
    • Lauren

The originals screw holes had enlarged, the lid was not hardwood and they had wiggled until the original screws just didn't work. I tried the next biggest screws and they would not grip well enough.. So I found a wooden dowel around the house and got a drill bit that size and drilled and put the dowels in.. with yellow glue and some wood filler.. That allowed me to go back to the original screws as if it was a band new lid.. :)
  • MADI

Where did you get that beautiful deco piece on the commode lid? TX.

• Lauren

He is one of those wine bottle holders, and i had the vase and then put the magnolia silks underneath him.. it is all from thrift shops or garage sales.. he is cute...

• Lauren

Thank you, I know I needed this kind of thing earlier, so decided to share the process and hoped it would turn out well...
  • Donna Rodriguez

Our quick fix was a couple of zip ties for our toilet seat it kept coming off ..same but different problem ..good job!