Jim Cox
Jim Cox
  • Tutorial Team
  • Springfield, MO

Quick Mailbox Address With Some Character

$9

I saw this in one of the Hometalk Slideshows and decided it was time. I didn't want decals on my mailbox, but something a bit more personal, and permanent.
quick mailbox address with some character, Here s a hunk of fence I bought at Lowes
Here's a hunk of fence I bought at Lowes
From a $3 dog-eared cedar fence board. I cut out the part with the most 'character', 10" or so.

quick mailbox address with some character
Because the lower edge was uneven, I put two strips of masking tape on the board to help me line things up. When I was happy with the numbers, I marked their hole locations with the nail and a light tap of a hammer. I did not fully sink the nails. A pair of needle nosed pliers helps hold the small things so you don't smash your fingers.
Remove the numbers and tape.

Sticking with the red theme of my front yard, I gave the board a light mist of red primer I had in the garage. Not as heavy as stain, and a lot quicker. Black and gray also work well as a mist.
Attach all but one number with nails. Look closely at the board and you can see the nail holes for my "5". This will come in handy to mount the "5" as well as locate the screws to mount the address board.
I screwed the board to my mailbox post where I thought the screws would be best hidden. Put in one screw, check for level/straight, then put in the second one.
Add your last digit. Here's the needle nosed pliers helping me out again. The middle number hides both screws fairly well.
And my finished project. Quick, easy, doesn't look like a decal, and adds a hint of color too.

(Someone else on Hometalk with a VW bus mailbox inspired me to paint the flowers to match my front porch - Thank you!) 

• Fence board ($3)  (Lowes)
  • Address numbers ($2 each)  (Lowes)