Faux Metal Letters Made From “Melted” Styrofoam

5 materials
$2
2 Weeks
I love to upcycle and reuse old stuff but I get particulary excited when I find new ways to use trash that I have previously not been able to upcycle. One of the most pesky items to find reuses for is styrofoam. I have made a couple of stamps from old pieces of foam take out containers but dissolving or "melting the foam to make hard plastic shapes is well lets just be honest here...It is a lot more fun.

I recently bought a new vacuum cleaner (It is a Shark and I love it) but the point of mentioning it here is that it was packed in two large pieces of foam. Like this one.
I recently found out that you can dissolve foam using acetone and that got me wondering what I could make from this new found substance. You can see the process of the dissolving the foam here.
I decided to make a mold from an empty cereal box.
It is a little tricky to get the glob of foam into the mold and it does take a long time to dry / harden.
Once it is hard it is ready to be taken out of the mold.
After some scrubbing and scraping most of the paper from the mold comes off and you are left with a hard slightly rough plastic.
I decided to add some paint for a more finished look. For more details on this project please visit my blog Upcycle Design Lab.

Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 19 questions

Comments

2 of 102 comments
Next