Jennifer Maker
Jennifer Maker
  • Ann Arbor, MI

Framed Pegboard Craft Tool Organizer

$5

I needed a way to store my craft tools, but also move them around the room with me as I craft. So I came up with this portable pegboard idea. I use an old frame with an easel stand so I can both hang it up on the wall as well as stand it up on a table. It works great!

Gather up your materials. Be sure you have the
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Open up the back of your frame and take out the glass/plastic/cardboard and anything else there. You want to keep the back with the easel stand though.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Now paint your frame, if you wish. I just spray painted the whole front of the thing with a light mint blue color.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Cut your pegboard so it is 1/4" wider than the inside measurement of your frame. You want it to sit just on TOP of the frame's edges, not go inside the frame like a picture. This is so there is room on the back for the pegs to stick out and still allow you to close the "door" at the back of the frame. I had my pegboard cut to size at the home improvement store -- most will do this for you if you ask.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Position the pegboard on top of the frame so that it just covers the interior frame edges. Make sure it is centered and straight.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Carefully turn over the frame so that your pegboard stays in place and open up the back.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Use your hot glue gun to put a thick line of glue at the point where the frame meets the pegboard to keep it in place. Make sure you do all four corners.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Determine where you'll put your tools on your pegboard and put the pegs in.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Glue the pegs in place on the back of your pegboard using your hot glue gun. This keeps the pegs from wobbling about or coming out when you are transporting your framed pegboard.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
If you want, you can also make pegs from wooden dowels or chopsticks. Cut off lengths about 1.5" long for each peg.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Paint the wood pegs to match your pegboard. Glue it in place at an angle at the back of the pegboard so that the tip is pointing up in the front. Close up the back when you've got all your pegs glued in place.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Now arrange your pegs on your super cute little pegboard!
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
Here's my pegboard frame all loaded up with my craft tools and hanging on a wall.
framed pegboard craft tool organizer
And here's my pegboard sitting on my craft table so everything is within reach as a I craft. Please let me know if you have any questions!

• White pegboard, 9 3/4" x 7 3/4"  (Home improvement store)
  • 8" x 10" Frame with stand in back  (Craft store)
  • Spray paint  (Home improvement store)
Jennifer Maker

• Pat Ruge

What a clever idea! Well done.

• Jewellmartin

That’s the cutest little pegboard I’ve ever seen! It’s attractive as well as useful. 😇