Asked on Aug 27, 2017

My neighbors dog barks constantly. How can I noise proof my windows?

FlipturnSandra AllenSharon
+7

Add some details for your fellow Hometalkers! (Optional)
  • Karen Tokarse
    Karen Tokarse

Here ya go. I tried something similar years ago and it worked! http://www.ultimatebarkcontrol.com/
    Betsy

Have you talked to your neighbors? Does the barking bother other neighbors? Your city/town surely has noise ordinances.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

Have you spoken to your neighbor about the problem? Perhaps if it is while they are not at home they don't know about it. I doubt that soundproofing your windows would look very good, as they would have to thickly be covered over with some kind of foam sheeting or something like that. I doubt that curtains of any kind would really help.
  • Emily
    Emily

As a person suffering the same condition, the best thing is to speak to your neighbor. We had to, and although he was testy with us, he definitely is trying to quiet his dogs down. You should not have to remake your house to stop such an annoyance. You could also tape the dog's barking so your neighbor understands what it sounds like to you.
    • Emily
      Emily

well if you wanted to be snarky you could tape the dog barking and play it near her house in the middle of the night. She certainly does not seem to want to be accommodating.
  • Rachel
    Rachel

there is a gaget that you can buy run by battery that when you aim it in direction of barking dog it makes a sound that the dog doesn't like and he will quit barking
  • Sharon
    Sharon

In my town, Code Enforcement issues tickets to neighbors with constant barking dogs. The guy behind me finally got a $500 ticket and shut his pit bull, Nipper, up. I trained my pit bull to not bark in the yard, of course I never left her alone in the yard when I wasn't home. Since I used to be a dog trainer, I give my neighbors tips on methods to stop dogs barking, some cooperate and others don't.... they get called in and get tickets.
    Get a silent dog whistle, its so high pitched only a dog can hear it. Every time its barking constantly, say quiet and then whistle, reward it with a bisquit when its quiet, Pretty soon you just have to say quiet. Then pretty soon all you have to do is open the door.
  • Sandra Allen
    Sandra Allen

It is never a good idea to feed a neighbor's dog anything. However I would start out friendly. Ask them over for coffee and explain the problem. They will be able to hear their dog first hand. Ask if it's lonely. See if there are other solutions that can work. If reporting them as a nuisance it needs to be a united front. All those who want to need to. This will avoid making you seem like a disgruntled neighbor. I hope something can be done. Sleep deprivation is never a good thing.
  • Flipturn
    Flipturn

It is not your responsibility to train anyone else in proper pet management, to train anyone else's pet, or to spend money trying to noise proof your windows if you are being disturbed by anyone else's pet. You as a home owner do have a right to be protected by your municipality noise bylaw.

Read up on what the noise bylaw in your area is, on the city/town website.

Photocopy the section of the bylaw referring specifically to noise disturbing you and put it in the neighbour's mailbox anonymously. Do not sign the paper, or make any threats to them verbally or written.

Start recording the times, days, and length of time that the dog is barking, over a period of a few days. If possible, take some pictures of the dog barking (if it is out alone in the yard) with a iphone, ipad, etc. that has the date recorded on the picture.

If the barking continues after a couple of days after you have given them the noise bylaw "reminder" then contact the city noise bylaw enforcement officer.
    They should ask you for the specifics of the information that you have recorded, and will proceed to make a visit to the property to hopefully either see/hear the dog barking, or speak directly to the owners to give them a warning.
    They will do so in confidentiality, meaning they will not tell identify to the owner who it was that reported the infracture.

If the barking continues, then, as another Hometalker commented on, the owner will be fined. Hopefully things will be resolved before this stage, but sometimes it takes a couple of rounds of fines to finally tune the owner in to their responsibilities.