Error loading player:
No playable sources found
Alicia W
Alicia W
  • Middletown, PA

Modern Macrame'...Not A 70's Memory

$15

Remember those macrame plant hangers everyone had? Like vinyl tile, macrame' is back and more versatile than ever.

Love this project? You can buy the materials for this project clicking the link below. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Get all the materials for this project:

You will be making a frame.
Decide on the size of your frame.
Using 1"x2" boards, cut four piece for the four sides of your frame.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Determine the center of the top and bottom board.
Using a square, draw a line down the center of those boards.

modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Using a router, cut a channel down the middle of the top and bottom boards only.
(If you do not own a router, this project can still be made.)
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
On the top and bottom board, determine the length between each piece of rope. You should have an even number as you will be threading one piece of rope using two holes.
Drill a hole through the board at each mark at the center of the board.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Using a miter saw, cut the ends of each board at a 45 degree angle.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Stain or paint the boards.
I used Minwax "Walnut" stain.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Seal the boards.
I used a white wax which is applied with a brush. The excess wax is wiped off with a soft cloth. You could also use a clear wax.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Sand the cut edges.
Apply wood glue and screw your pieces of board together at each end using trim screws.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
To determine the length of rope needed, measure the rope out along the length of the side boards. You will need six times that amount (measure the rope out along the board's length six times.)
Cut the rope and apply tape to the ends of the rope so it doesn't fray and it's easier to thread through the holes in the board.
The rope I used was cotton clothesline; however, you could also purchase macrame rope.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Begin with one piece of rope.
Thread one end of the rope through your first hole. Thread the other end of the rope through the second hole.
Pull the ends so they are even.
You should three times as much rope as the length of your frame.
Continue to thread all of the rope through the holes in your frame.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
Begin to macrame' using whatever knots you choose.
There are many YouTube videos where you can learn how to macrame using simple knots. This is where your creativity will shine.
I made four frames; two large and two small.
For the larger frames, I used a square knot and the smaller frames, I used a Josephine knot.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
When you reach the bottom of the frame, thread the ends of the rope through the holes along the bottom of the frame.
Tie a knot while pulling the rope tight.
Cut off the ends and using a flat screw driver, push the ends into the channel of the frame.
Use hot glue to secure the rope.

If you did not router a channel in your boards, tie off the ends of the rope as above along the bottom of the board.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
So what makes this modern? You can use these frames for so many things.

I hung one of the large frames outside and allowed a vining flower to thread it's way through the macrame making outdoor art.

I hung one of the small frames on the wall of my office and use it as a memo board.
modern macrame not a 70 s memory
I hung two small and one large frame on a bedroom wall for large impact art.

I screwed each small frame onto the top of the large frames. Using three hinges, I attached them together to make a room divider. (For the room divider project, you would need to router channels into the top and bottom of the frames so they are flush when you screw the frames together.)

Just think of all the possibilities in your home!

• Susie Sipes

First let me say... it's very pretty.
    Now for my question are there holes in the sides of frame also? It looks like it is tied on the sides. Thank you

• Anita Kindle Belfiore

You definitely have a special talent. I could see you getting rich off these. They are beautiful. I was wandering if maybe you could dye the clothes line to make different colors to match seasons or decor?

• Alicia W

You could dye the clothes line because it's cotton. Great idea Anita

• Cry22488062

Do you make these for sale?

• Suzanne

What a clever idea! Thank you for sharing it with us.

• The instructions are really terrible. They start off without giving any indication as to what you’re making. They say that if you don’t have router you can still make one, but don’t say how. Then, rather than the beautiful macrame I remember, they look a lot like chain link fence.

The basic idea is good. I used to do a lot of macrame, but since I don’t have a router, I still don’t know how to do this. 😕😢