Pat Ruge
Pat Ruge
  • Tutorial Team
  • Murrieta, CA

Toilet Paper Roll Steampunked

$0

As luck would have it, I was just in the process of creating a steampunked project (coming soon to Hometalk, hopefully by the end of this week). This challenge offered me the opportunity to try out my skills before walking off the cliff on a project which, if done well, means a lot to me and hopefully to my granddaughter, Sarah.

Since everything I used was pre-owned and most products were a small part of the project, it is hard for me to estimate a cost. Keep in mind that when you start with a "Toilet Paper Roll" as a challenge, you probably won't be investing very much.
toilet paper roll steampunked
Begin by squeezing one end and run a hot glue bead to join it together. When glue is dry, I painted the exterior and part of the interior with my special black gesso (will be included in my next project). After that is dry, I painted same areas with black acrylic paint.
Assemble all the steampunk and glue down
toilet paper roll steampunked
To mount the suede strap, I first installed an eyelet on each side. Finally glad to be able to use my Crop-A-Dile eyelet tool. It allows you punch the hole in a very precise manner for both sides. Once the hole is in place, it installs the eyelet, much like a paper punch and it handles awkward positions very well.
toilet paper roll steampunked
Now we get to the fun part. The beauty of steampunk is that there are no rules.. Although, I do think in a steampunk project, it is important to include some expression of gears and bling is always welcome to join the party.
toilet paper roll steampunked
With both sides completely steampunked, I brushed lightly over the gears and metal parts with my "special gesso" and then hit it up with Color Box pigment brush pad in silver. Without the gesso, the pigment will wipe off when rubbed against anything, including your hands The last step was to spray lightly with Tattered Angle glimmer mist in "Coffee Shop 02362.
toilet paper roll steampunked
I am hoping a close up will show better detail
toilet paper roll steampunked
Still hoping for the detail
toilet paper roll steampunked
This picture represents most of the tools and products used. I've added the little flowers to the "Steampunked Toilet Paper Roll" to indicate one possible display. The little yellow envelop can be used to include a money or small jewely gift when slipped inside. ...Or you can use your imagination and leave some other suggestions for our Hometalkers as to how you might use this .

• Crop-A-Dile  (Joanns)
  • Acrylic Craft Paint - Black  (Joanns)
  • Tattered Angle Glimmer Mist  (Joanns)

• Barbara Brown

Did you have a store in Hemet where you taught painting skills?
    • Pat Ruge

The only "store" I teach at is right here on Hometalk where they store all my projects. I try to be pretty specific in my tutorials. Take a look at my project page and you will find quite a few ideas - I tend to cater to beginners as I myself only began a year ago.
  • Krafty Mrs.K

Black gesso recipe please.

Could I add black tempera powder to white gesso???

• Krafty Mrs.K

THANKS. with an ever shrinking art supply budget I need recipes for cheaper alternatives.

Steampunk would be a great theme for promoting the Arts in our STEM academy.

• Pat Ruge

Gosh, thanks, Kli. Hard to believe you could find a project of mine nearly a year old.

• Terri

Where do you find your gears...I love streampunk and I love your project.