Rebecca D. Dillon
Rebecca D. Dillon
  • Roanoke, VA

Kitchen Table Makeover

$12

Is your small kitchen, or another room, in your home looking kind of drab? Dress it up with a punch of color! By making over a main piece of furniture in a room with paint, you can make the space look brighter and feel more welcoming for very little money.
kitchen table makeover
When I got married and moved back to the area into my new husband's house he had a hand me down kitchen dinette squeezed into the smallest possible eat in kitchen. And, because it was black, it made the room feel smaller. It also lent to an overall dim and drab appearance of the kitchen. Not at all what one wants in a kitchen!

Being that the table was gifted, it had some damage to the top. The finish was worn off over a large majority of the top. So I didn't really think much of giving the kitchen table a dual purpose as a craft table.

However, been some rather crazy craft nights with friends (one of which you have to see here because, wow!) and then spilling everything from fragrance oils and nail polish base (both of which eat the finish off of the wood) I sort of left it a lot more wrecked than it had started out.

My end game was always to either replace the kitchen table (wayyy down the road since I'd already purchased new living room furniture) or make it over. It took a while to get around to it, but I did finally get my kitchen table makeover.

It took me about four days to complete this makeover, but only because life kept interrupting. Logistically, if you're painting your table, you can finish it in two with zero distractions. But, really, not many of us get to lose ourselves for a solid two days. So I'd safely plan on this project taking anywhere from 3-5 days if you're inspired to tackle your own kitchen table makeover.

Anyhow, rather than simply paint the table another color, I wanted to make my kitchen table a work of art. I also wanted to use bright and sunny colors to add some vibrancy to my rather dull kitchen. I chose my color scheme based on a work of art I purchased from a friend. (You can see the artwork that inspired this table on my original blog post here.)

I chose reds, blues, yellows, and oranges for a bright pop of color and used craft paints I had on hand from my many many craft nights! I hope you like it as much as I do!
kitchen table makeover
kitchen table makeover
kitchen table makeover
kitchen table makeover
kitchen table makeover
kitchen table makeover
kitchen table makeover
kitchen table makeover
I did not prime my table first and it's been okay. (By the time I'd considered it I wasn't about to start over.) However, you probably want to use a good primer as it will bond the old paint to the new.
kitchen table makeover
Once I finished painting my table, I sealed it with multiple thin coats of a Devine Color by Valspar Clear Sealer Topcoat that I picked up at Target. (They do also sell a paint and primer that bonds to wood, metal, glass, plastic and other surfaces.) Its luxe glossy finish both seals and protects and I felt it also gave my finished kitchen table that extra pop.
kitchen table makeover
I love the final makeover and I'm thinking about doing the top back of the four chairs next. Hopefully my kitchen table makeover will inspire you as well!
kitchen table makeover

Rebecca D. Dillon

• Teresa Ann Ford

Did you do the work free hand? I don't think I am so good with drawing things but I guess you could stencil, right. It is beautiful and you saved money. I would always keep it.
    • Rebecca D. Dillon

I did it all free hand. Really it was just layering basic shapes with different colors then adding black lines afterwards. But you could absolutely use stencils as well. I'm so glad you like it!
  • Virginia Contreras

R u going to paint the chairs now? Love the colors!
  • Karen Squires

Does anyone know how to repair a cracked marble tabletop?
    • Mumandp

The best way to repair damaged Marble is to contact Your local Marble Retailer and have then bring or sell You a mixture of matching ground marble and special glue to fill the hole and the mixture will not only repair and seal the damage but once dry it will be impossible to see the damage if done correctly.
      Hope this is helpful....
      xo Michelle
    • Alice

Karen, go to the top of this page where it says "Ask Question." Post your questions there and you'll get lots of feedback.

• Leticia Rae Marlow

Where did you purchase the table?
    • Rebecca D. Dillon

I didn't. My husband already had it when we got married in May. It was a hand me down from his grandfather who passed.
    • Charlene

Saw this at crate and barrel
  • Vee

I love the artistic flair. How will you set the table? Solid placemats in maybe green? It's very joyful, would be perfect in a childs room.

• Rebecca D. Dillon

We just used colored plates without placemats, but those are a great idea!

• Carole Atson

I was also thinking that it would now be more for a child’s play room, not a dining room.

• Jean

It's not really a "Dining Room".. it's a breakfast nook. I think it looks much better than the solid black. I think it would be really cute to paint the chair seats in bright colors too. Or maybe find some cushions in solid bright colors that match? I don't know don't how comfortable the chairs are.

• Diane

Does anyone tell me how to paint chocolate brown laminate cabinets without getting brush stroke? I used the foam rollers and they left streaks, my cabinets look old but don’t want them to look worse! Thanks for any tips ( I don’t know how to spray) your table is beautiful

• C2211759399

I had heard that chalk paint is great!

• Patb

you need to use a primer..probably 2 coats sine they are dark. then you can use any latex paint on top. I have even painted laminated cabinets. I used Behr all in one primer and sealer ( comes in a purple can) from home depot. Used many times with great results.

• Anne Stratton Philo Fleck

Chalk paint works a treat! Just be sure to sand (lightly, so lightly) any streaky parts between coats and put a sealer on it so it won't rub off during kitchen use. We re-painted our brown laminate cabinets this way. I worked really well.

• Peg

Absolutely gorgeous

• Kat Rogers

STUNNINGLY GORGEOUS~ THAT IS SO MY STYLE, I JUST ADORE ALL OF THOSE BRIGHT, BEAUTIFUL COLORS!

BTW~ The link you've posted that's supposed to take you to The Original Artwork... It doesn't appear to do that, at least I didn't see it~ it's just the post from your blog.

Anyway, seeing your table surely brightened my day!

From One A&C DIY👑TO ANOTHER~ Thanks for sharing.