Modern Farmhouse Laundry Room Makeover

$500
5 Weeks

Our laundry closet and hallway were a pretty big mess. We moved in so quickly before our wedding (2 weeks!), I never really had the chance to organize. Fast forward and it was in dire need of an update.
The laundry room makeover goals included:
  • Replace wire storage with more attractive shelving
  • Create storage system
  • Cover electrical box
  • Hide water heater
  • Add laundry drying system
The first step was to clear out everything and see what we were dealing with. I threw quite a bit away, and stored everything else in the garage temporarily. Next, the shelves came down.
After we cleared out the space, I painted the walls a greige color, Anew Gray by Sherwin Williams. From there, we replaced the floors with peel & stick tile.
This immediately made it look a million times better. Paint is a powerful thing, and these walls were dirty! Next up, was to hang the cabinet and work on the shelves. We had a leftover cabinet that we didn't use in our bathroom renovation, so we were able to re-purpose in this space.
I also painted the cabinet Naval by Sherwin Williams before hanging. I primed it first, and then did three coats of paint to make sure it was even. For the shelves, I had boards cut down at Lowe's, and then stained them using Minwax Dark Walnut and three coats of poly each.
We also had the light fixture replaced as it was a bare bulb before. This fixture was only $30 and I loved the farmhouse vibe. And, as you can see, I also painted the ceiling. The popcorn was removed during a larger renovation when we first moved in, but I had not gotten around to painting any of the closet ceilings.
Here's my inspiration for the laundry room and hallway! I'll share how I updated the hallway and made our coat rack in another project post.
And here's the final reveal! The deep striped baskets (from Target) hide everything so well. And for once in my life, I've actually kept up this organization system. In the cabinet, we store toilet paper, cleaning products, the iron and dust buster.
On the other side of the laundry room, I used a louvered bi-fold closet door to hide the water heater. I can't tell you how happy it makes me to not see it everyday!
Next to the water heater, we had just enough room to add a towel wrack to hang clothes to dry. A few hooks on the wall hold the cleaning tools we regularly use (Swiffer, broom, dustpan). We were able to squeeze in a rolling laundry cart, which is a great addition. While I can't say that I love doing laundry now, it's certainly much better than before!

15 Unconventional Ways To Use A Tomato Cage
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
These Amazing Vase Ideas Will Blow Your Guests Away!
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
31 Ways To Get Privacy Inside And Outside Your Home
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
Jenn Marsh