DP
DP
  • Hollsopple, PA

Front Door Got a Makeover

$25

The front door was faded and I wanted to change it up
front door got a makeover
The door was blue with some white trim, here it has already been sanded and I taped the knob plus removed the deadbolt. I used contact paper on the windows so I wouldn't have to scrape paint and it is really much easier than tape. I make sure the contact paper is a little larger than the window, stick it on pressing it into the corners and then use a knife to go along the edges to cut it perfect to the window.
front door got a makeover
I primed it using the 123 primer, I used a grey paint, one coat and didn't worry about getting it to cover without streaks or anything, on the inset white area and around the windows I only very lightly dry brushed it on, I wanted it to look sort of like wood grain, I let that dry (the deadbolt was put back on so we could lock the door at night)
front door got a makeover
Here I put a fairly light coat of white paint over the grey and used a graining tool to make the wood grain look on the door, you can find some youtube videos showing how to use it, it really isn't difficult.
front door got a makeover
After the white dried, I used these 3 colors of blues to dry brush kind of randomly to give it more color and to make it look more antique like
front door got a makeover
This is the finished door, I placed a stencil on the panels in one of the blue/purple colors I had dry brushed onto the rest of the door. I wish you could see the colors better in this picture, it really does look better in person. I also brushed on 2 coats of water based polyurethane to make it smoother, protect the paint and to make cleaning easier. our house has blue siding so the door really does go with the exterior.
DP

• Mary

I have a metal door on my back entrance could I use this technique on it possibly?

• DP

Yes, just make sure you prep the door, sand it, wipe it down good, use a good primer then you can do this type of technique on it. The prep makes all the difference. Plus if it is exposed to harsh weather, if there is no roof over it or no screen door, not sure how well the paint would hold up?

• Faye Muir West

tHow about the glass? How did you do that?

• Carol Cole

How did you do the glass?

• DP

It is contact paper that I bought from amazon, it makes it appear it is etched :)