Turn Your Dried Out Pine Cones Into a Beautiful Flower Wreath

$2

My parents live in a very wooded area with an abundance of pine cones and every year my dad likes to collect the nice looking ones and give them to neighbors and friends to craft with. This year I asked for all of the leftovers to make a beautiful fall wreath with.

turn your dried out pine cones into a beautiful flower wreath
Before you get started with your pine cones, you may want to make sure all the bugs inside are dead. You can bake your pine cones or give them a bleach wash. Fortunately for me, my dad had them all dried out for me already.
Start out by cutting down your pine cones to a smaller size. Mine were so dried out and nearly impossible to cut with a scissors so I had to use my big trimming shears to cut them in half. Depending on the look you are going for, you may be able to cut your pine cones in half and use both sides. Keep in mind that when you cut your pine cone in half you will lose a lot of the pine cone pieces when you cut them.
When your pine cone is cut in half you will want to trim up the bottom edges. I cut some of the bottom pieces to make it look more of a flower shape. Those cut pieces will end up wedging between the wire frames on the wreath and hold your pine cone in place.
When you have your pine cones trimmed it's time to start placing them into your wire framed wreath. Push them in to place and then twist them a little bit so they become nice and snug. If they don't fit in place tightly you can use your glue gun and glue them onto the frame or to the pine cone next to the one next to it.
Then you can start painting your pine cones into flowers. I just used regular acrylic paint and started painting each individual part of the pine cone. When your pine cones are dry you can add your spanish moss. I just ripped off little pieces, rolled it together in my hands and then hot glued it to the pine cones and frame.
When you have it done to your liking, you can hang it up! We live near the beach so I wanted a beachy, yet fall colored wreath for our front door this fall season and this one turned out perfect!

• Pine cones  (nature)
  • Wire wreath frame  (dollar store)
  • Spanish moss  (dollar store)
Jennifer | CrazyDiyMom

• Bob25502244

you made it it seem as if cutting pine cones is fairly easy. I have cut a lot of cones for "flowers" and I tried so many different tools. I found a coping saw worked best but very labor intensive as it is almost like sawing through cement. Has anyone else found a relatively easy method? I find it easier to break off the "petals" with pruning shears and then glue onto a circle of cardboard to construct a flower.

• Beverly

How long do you bake them?

• Ell20771842

I wouldn’t do it for more than a couple of hours on low temp. i Almost caught the oven on fire once because I had them on a higher temp thinking it would be faster. It’s not. ! And the house smells like burned pine, not pleasant. !

• Bettina Bergren

Would it have been easier to paint the comes first? Just curious. 🤗

• I think it was easier to paint them after because then they are secured to the frame and you don't have to try to hold them while painting.