How can I keep my potted geraniums over the winter?

+5
I buy some large geraniums to sit by the door every year outside and I hate to just throw them away when it gets cold. Is there anyway to manage them inside over the winter?

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Aug 31, 2017
    Yes, If you have a conservatory or a bright window. I used to keep mine and they continued to bloom all winter.
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Aug 31, 2017
    Spray them down with horticultural oil and bring them indoors and place in the brightest light possible.Cut back on watering and if need be prune them a little
  • KattywhampusLOL KattywhampusLOL on Aug 31, 2017
    Good Morning Pat :) Here are a few videos to show you how to keep them over the winter. I hope they help :)
    Potted Gerniums overwintered 3 ways:
    Garden geraniums dug up and prepared for overwintering:
    Save money by turning a few plants into a garden with cuttings:

Okay, that's what I have ;) Thanks for using Hometalk for answers :)

• Happy Powell Happy Powell on Aug 31, 2017
    Depending on where you live,what zone? Here in the south,I would cut them back & cover with mulch,or put them in the garage or house,but I would still cut them back
  • Jeannie Jeannie on Aug 31, 2017
    put them in a dark basement or closet. Do not water thru the winter. They will come back in the spring after you take them out repot and water
  • Glenda Jaquez Dykstra Glenda Jaquez Dykstra on Aug 31, 2017
    Bring them inside. Keep them watered appropriately. Mine always last for years that way. (Doesn't hurt to re-pot them if they outgrow the current one)
  • 2dogal 2dogal on Aug 31, 2017
    You don't say where you live, so this may not work for you, but I live zone 7a and when it's getting toward freezing, I just cover them with a blanket.
  • Ginny Ginny on Sep 03, 2017
    My mother used to bring them indoors and they did very well. She could make anything grow. I would consult your local garden center for advice. She also kept poinsettias alive all winter by putting them in a closet.