DIY Popsicle Stick Hexagon Shelf

$5

If you have seen my house and specifically my master bedroom (check it out on our blog!) you will quickly learn that I dig geometric shapes and patterns, and hexagons or octagons specifically. Which is probably why I am more excited about this post than I should be, you see I have tried to make hexagon projects before and it was a struggle to get those perfect angles and cuts. This project was way more forgiving and also really fast to make! I would totally bust a few of these out to give as gifts or make multiple for my room to create a honeycomb pattern!

Photo Cred: Anya McInroy
You don’t need many supplies…start gathering!
  • Hot glue gun
  • Hot glue sticks
  • Popsicle sticks
  • Spray paint
  • Print out of hexagon (optional)
First I found a hexagon online, simply searched google images, and printed out the hexagon as large as possible on my printer. It still wasn’t quite as large as I wanted it to be but I figured since it was just a stencil I could make it work. I laid out the popsicle sticks on the paper reflecting the shape and angles. Once I established what I thought was a perfect hexagon I went got to hot gluing. I overlapped each stick and glued them to each other.
See how I used the space between each layer to create more depth….make sure to get all the hot glue gun strings pulled off.
Take your creation outside and spray paint any color you desire, be sure to get inside the crevices and cracks.
I'm obsessed with the copper tones so I love this element!
So simple yet so cute!
This shelf is going to be such a cute accent on my wall! Love DIY home decor!
Oh happy day, it’s SO cute!
xo
Sam

• Hot glue gun
  • Hot glue sticks
  • Popsicle sticks

Zest it Up

• Robin Herring

Did you use popsicle sticks or tongue depressor? Sticks appear larger than popsicle sticks.
    • Sandy

This is great for the air ferns that I have that need a good place to put them since they do not need water...
  • Renee Karriker Miller

What did you use for the spacer ?
    • Zest it Up

We cut popsicle sticks into small pieces and glued it between our other popsicle stick to create spacers.

• Cindi Kelley

how did you hang on the wall?
    • Zest it Up

Great question! We put a nail on our wall and hung it on the nail! Since it's light, you could easily use command strips as well!

• User

Thanks so much for this idea!! I've been contemplating different budget friendly ideas for storage. This one adds pizazz. I plan on using your hexagon shape someday but for now I might make something similar in a heart shape (I can make them with either six or eight popsicle sticks), and will definitely making either a rectangular or square shaped one with some depth to it for cute wall storage. Potentially more than one with artistic spacing and placement to minimize crowded shelves and add a cute flare to my room's office nook. :)
  • Salli Nelson

I made this! Mine is 20 layers deep, no spacers, wood glued, very strong and I love it! Painted it after it was all glued together with a dark metallic spray paint and have had lots of compliments on it. Fun to make!