DIY Crate Storage Ottoman

$130

Hey Everyone! In today's project I will be showing you I created this crate ottoman. It's super cute because it doubles as storage and beautiful decor.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

You can also find all the products on Amazon:

(Amazon)

What you will need are two crates that are 25" by 17.5", you will need two planks of wood, some upholstery foam, and some upholstery backing, fabric, some paint, and a roller, as well as a paint brush. A drill, a staple gun, sand paper, four caster wheels, hinges, and screws. Some ribbon, and a glue gun. 

First off you are going to sand your crates. You don't necessarily need a sander, sand paper works as well.

Next up you will paint your pieces. I painted in white. The paint and primer were in one so I used two coats (I used a lighter hand for the second coat). You only need to paint one plank of wood since other will be covered with your upholstery.

Now, take some time to align your crates with your base. To make things easier I used painters tape to hold things together when I lined things up. Now, take some time to align your crates with your base (one of the pieces measuring 25" x 17.5") to make things easier I used painters tape to hold things together when I lined things up. 

Now I am going to take 8 screws and using a drill bit I will put them in the corners of the crates. 

To upholster your lid you take your fabric and align it with the plank measuring out a 2 and half inches before cutting. 

Take the foam cushion and glue it to the seat using the hot glue gun.

Take your staple gun to secure the sides of the fabric and keep stuffing the fabric to make it nice and full. 

To cover the back side take some fabric glue and fabric and glue it down. I Used clay fabric for a neater look. To cover the raw edges I used ribbon and glued them with fabric glue. 

To attach the lids of the crate you will make markings on each side. Use shorter half inch screws so they don't poke through the cushion and drill them in. Remember to make the hinges centered over the handles. 

Attach the four wheels on the bottom and we are all done!

There you have it. I am so pleased with how this came out. It can roll along the room really easily and there is a lot of room for storage as well. 

• Bonnie

This is an awesome project for addl storage. I see no reason to put hinges on. Why not have the entire top removable? Maybe put a little inset for the lid to rest on? This is a great solution for storage. Good job! Thank you for sharing it!

• Beth Labonville

Not really a question, just an FYI. It is a misconception that paint is made WITH primer in it. It's not. What that means is that you can use the paint as a primer or as paint. You cannot mix paint with primer; it's not possible. Yes, I work in the paint industry.

• Susan Lundquist

Question- How much better are levels of paint from a seller. Let’s just say Sherwin Williams for example. Super Paint is the least expensive and there are pricier levels like Duration and Resilience.

• Rosie

How to get rid of roaches

• Dot

I have seen some great ideas (like this one) using those crates that you buy from craft stores where even the smallest ones cost a minimum of $10. If we are real DIYs, why not build our own crates? We can build them any size for a lot less. This is really cute and would be fun to make.

• Rivka