Repair a Broken Pearl Necklace String

1 Material
$4

My wife was so sad when her favorite necklace broke. I never back away from a challenge... so I started researching solutions and here is what I came up with.

Sure a professional could have done a much better job... but for $3.49 - I think my fix is pretty good. Important thing is the wife is happy!
Sad face necklace! String broke at the clasp.
I bout 0.60 mm Silk Thread meant for pearl necklaces. The cord comes with an already thread on needle... built right in!
Here is the needle. It is a small flexible metal mesh string that has the cord embedded in it. This means I do not have to use a normal needle doubling up the cord to loop it through.

The old necklace had a knot between each pearl... and I initially added them in... but the spacing between the pearls just did not look good with the knots. After a dozen knots I decided to cut the pearls free and start over without any knots between.
I started by putting a double knot on one side. I gave myself enough slack to eventually tie the end to the clasps.. but that is later.
Threading the pearl is very easy with this built in needle. JUST enough room to pass through. I fed ALL the pearls together with no knots.
When I got to the other end... I used a needle to help bring the knot close to the end. I then double knotted it just to make sure it did not slip.
Here you can see me using a needle to pull the knot close. Then I would just pull the needle out.
With the beads secure... on to the clasp on each side.
Each side received several knots to secure the claps ends to the cord.
All Finished! Happy wife!
I even have extra for the next emergency. Make sure you leave the needle attached.

Hope this inspires you in your projects.

• Silk Cord and Needle

1 comment