Asked on Feb 19, 2014

Where to buy a solid plate element electric stove top?

Kathy GilbertsonNyowa LefflerDana Stroud
+43

I a solid top cooktop /metal plate electric elements about 10 years ago when I lived in Florida... I have recently looked everywhere to purchase one for my kitchen remodel in NY... I Cannot find... do you know where I can purchase one?? I have a glass /smooth top now with double oven; but, the metal solid plate is SO much better! apparently these are still sold & popular in UK & Europe. The picture attached (I cannot read the Brand/ think it says DEFY) is from the blog below & I did send them the same question. Thank you for any info!
http://www.housetl.com/2013/07/choosing-perfect-hob-for-your-kitchen.html
  • Your going to have difficulty in finding this type of top. Although you can still get parts, they are very difficult to locate. These tops did not take hold in the US due to the cost of heating them with electrical power. As soon as the radiant glass tops came into the picture around the 80's only a few of the higher end units were being sold. Eventually they stopped making them. You really should look into the newer electrical solid surface tops being made today. Much more efficient to use, turns on and gets hot quickly, and cools down almost as fast. With better manufacturing methods and materials, the new solid surface tops work almost as well as gas. Much easier to clean as well.

• Caroline Hall
    Caroline Hall

Thank you Woodbridge Environmental! Yes, I currently own a solid surface with double oven. I STILL like the solid burner better & actually most of what I like is that they were built with stainless top. The only stainless top elec stove/ cooktop available is with coils (yuck!). I do heavy cooking all the time & nothing beats stainless. I am thinking I will have to convert to gas. Where I live I can only get LP; and do not like the way it bakes (Natural gas much more even)... so, thinking a wall oven & gas cooktop or a combination range. I LOVED the solid element stove; and, yes it was from the 80's

• Tammy Sauls
      Tammy Sauls

I just purchased a home and it actually has the solid metal plate range. I will have to get over there and look who makes it. Will let you know when I find out.
  • Caroline Hall
    Caroline Hall

of course the GRADE of stainless used today is very thin & not built to last like it was 30+ yrs. ago. I had a stainless cooktop with coils & griddle in the middle made by kenmore in the 70's & the ppl who now own that home STILL use it, because the stainless looks like NEW. Stuff today is not industrial grade at all :(

• Caroline Hall
    Caroline Hall

Kenmore still sells the coil elements, so they have replaced.... who knows how long that will continue LOL

• Alex Morris
      Alex Morris

@Caroline Hall Any Ideas about my recent comment should be the last one posted? Thank you for your time. God bless.

• Z
    Z

The only thing I could find was on ebay. It was a cartridge for a Jenn Air Modular cook top. It doesn't say where the plugs are. We are replacing our GE (made by Jenn Air) modular cook top with a smooth top without knobs that plug in on the sides. I'd have replaced with the smooth tops or this solid element, if I could have found them for the price of this one. I never thought to check ebay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jenn-Air-cooktop-Solid-Element-Cartridge-AS130-series-/251454903698?pt=US_Cooktops&hash=item3a8be15592

• Betty Stine
    Betty Stine

I bought that type of Jenn Air cooktop with the solid elements about 30 years ago when we bought this home. It had a wonderful down draft. I think my husband replaced one or two of the elements. We remodeled our kitchen in 2008 and I just HAD to have the glass top. How I miss my Jenn air!.

• Z
      Z

I hope I don't miss my GE version of the Jenn Air @Betty. I know I won't miss the clean up, but am curious after all these years of cooking with coils if I'll like the glass top. @Caroline, what I should have added in my previous comment was you might be able to find a modular cook top that works with soil burners I linked to above.

• Betty Stine
    Betty Stine

@Becky, I do not find the glass top that easy to keep clean. You Have to be careful how u move your pots, it will scratch the surface. A totally flat bottom pot is recommended. (I live in Louisiana so we used iron pots sometimes.) You have to clean it with a blade if food burns on it. I cannot can on it. I have, using my small canner because this one has a raised bottom, so barely overlaps burners, but only holds pints. But a large flat canner, no. Actually they recommend no canner use on it, too heavy. Burned a pot with stew in it and it took part of the stripe off. (It is possible I may just be a messy cook??) I do like the filter better on this one than the Jenn Air. Mine is a Whirlpool. I wish I had a gas stove but gas is not in my kitchen. I don't think I would buy another glass top.

• Sandra T
      Sandra T

@Betty Stine I know what you mean about the glass top. I hate this GE stove glass top. It is not easy to keep clean. I think the top has something in it. My glass top by corning was the best,so easy to clean. I wished I had shopped around more

• Kathy T
    Kathy T

Apparently Whirlpool still makes them. I don't know how hard it would be to get parts or service. I found this one. http://www.getprice.com.au/Whirlpool-6AKM331IX-Kitchen-Cooktop.htm#more-details Also if you're interested in a used appliance, you might look at used restaurant equipment. I know in the 90s, some restaurants in this area, went back to regular gas burners. They weren't very efficient for restaurant use. Commercial equipment is so much more durable and some of it looks just like the residential models.

• @Kathy T That's a great find Kathy, but the suppliers are not in the US and one of them is selling 2nds. Meaning they purchased outdated stock and are reselling them. Not to say that if she wants it bad enough that she cannot order and have is shipped to her home.

• Kimberly A
    Kimberly A

I know it will be very tough to track one of those down. My mother in law still has one in a house of hers we are selling. We are leaving it in there because it is so good. However, she has cooked on my induction cooktop many times and likes it much better. You may want to look into induction cooktops as an option. I have Le Crueset cast iron cookware so I can assure you it can take the weight. In fact you must cook with a ferrous metal pot/pan in order to make them work. I can boil a huge pot of water in about 90 seconds and my cooking is always even as well as fast. Good luck with your hunt.

• Jo Dee Bradley
    Jo Dee Bradley

Try Bosch or restaurant supply stores the small gas burner in the pic looks like what i have in my camper and the solid closed electric looks like what a restaurant supply carries.

• Julie Gibson
    Julie Gibson

Try E.G.O. Products in Newnan, GA. I believe they manufacture those & might be able to help you find what you need.

• Kathy T
    Kathy T

@Woodbridge Environmental Tiptophouse.com Thank you, I didn't pay attention to that.

• Alex Morris
    Alex Morris

I have found some home improvement retailers in Austrailia that sell these very regularly over there. Yes the makes and models are brand new in the box. It seems that all of them are made in Italy. These are very popular in Europe. I wish they all said yes to my inquiries about shipping to the USA but I was denied, they just don't ship to here. The only website that seemed like they would do anything was Appliance Warehouse: (http://www.appliancewarehouse.com.au/p-4576-chef-electric-cooktop.aspx). This one acts like it might do business with me from the correspondence I've had, but I'll have to see about that. Money hasn't changed hands yet. I hope to do business with them. Best suggestion I can come up with is that all American Solid Element Cooktop lovers get together and make a rash of inquiries to all of them and maybe that will open trading between us and them, try to pass this info on to your friends and neibors. They all have .au after .com in their URL adresses. So I wish you all the best of luck and God Bless.

• Karen Russell
    Karen Russell

I'm still using the Jenn-Air downdraft with solid cast elements we purchased in 1986 when we built our house. I LOVE this range, but it's been very hard finding a replacement since Jenn-Air stopped making these years ago. When we found out they would no longer be carrying this range top, we purchased an extra modular with 2 elements (just in case). I've never had to use it, but now that the oven is gone and it is'nt cost-effective to repair, I'm having to shop for a new range. We're doing some renovations. Good News is that I've actually located a couple of online sites that have pointed me in the right direction. Hence, I've located the perfect range for my farmhouse kitchen! I'm completely puzzled as to why this type of range top hasn't taken hold in the US because it is hands down the best and cleanest way to cook!

• Nellie
      Nellie

I agree with you on the efficiency of the solid burners. Mine is Decor. 1982. One service call 2 years ago. It is perfect for big pots. Love the cooktop.
  • Jan Schochet
    Jan Schochet

So Karen Russell, where are the places you've located? Could you share websites or contact info? Thanks.

• Judy Roberts
    Judy Roberts

Hi, I still have a GE solid element stovetop that is @ least 15 years old, still looks new! Cooks better than anything I've ever had. I am going to remodel my kitchen and wanted a new one and looked 3-4 years ago, & no one in America seems to like them~they are only popular overseas. I had people laugh @ me, cause I like mine so much! If anyone finds any out there~be sure to let us all know as I would love to have one without! the black glass I have on my solid element stove now! I love the cleaning of the elements! Just burn it off~if only the rest was not black glass! LOL

• Karen Russell
    Karen Russell

elmirastoveworks.com

• Ellen Knox
    Ellen Knox

About 25 years ago I had a range with the metal sealed discs. That was the only electric stove I ever liked. I loved how easy it was to clean!

• Kay Jarvis
    Kay Jarvis

How have those of you who love the elements cleaned them. Just bought a house with them and don't know how to get them back into nice-looking shape. Thanks all!

• Nellie
      Nellie

You can brillow pad and dish soap. After cleaned spray with canola oil. Rub off excess. 1982. I cook a lot. Decor company. Looks new.
  • Ellen Knox
    Ellen Knox

For the elements themselves, the heat would burn off anything. I think I used a soft cleanser on the rest. I would try a magic eraser now. There used to be a product you could put on the elements to make them look black again, but don't know if it is still available or not.

• Linda Johnson
    Linda Johnson

Here's a link to the "Smart Burner" plug in type of burner: https://www.pioneeringtech.com/store/commercial/smartburner/ Here's a link A to Safe-T-Element page hardwired burner: https://www.pioneeringtech.com/store/commercial/safe-t-element/ Here's a link to a solid element conversion kit for all 4 burners on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEERING-SAFE-T-ELEMENT-2-6-X-2-8-BURNER-STOVE-SAFETY-CONVERSION-KIT-/221973141691?hash=item33aea158bb:g:ZVoAAOSwDNdVnxBt

• William AndJoanne Alburger
    William AndJoanne Alburger

Appliance World in the UK says they will sell to the US and they sell solid plate hob electric cookers (the UK name for the cast iron solid element stoves). http://www.appliance-world.co.uk/info/Kitchen+Appliances+for+Export.html I haven't done it yet, but I am considering it. Mine is 27 years old and dying :-(

• David
    David

I have a Whirlpool solid plate cooktop in Excellent condition if you are still looking.
  • David
    David

see attached pic.
    , This is it let me know if you have any questions
  • David
    David

Here is the cooktop pic.
  • Dana Stroud
    Dana Stroud

What year and model is this? I am in need for white knobs for the same model, but at having trouble finding them.
  • Nyowa Leffler
    Nyowa Leffler

Smartburner by Pioneer technology, they sell 4 pack units that replace your electric coil with cast iron solid plate burners. Sold in Canada for $199.00

• Kathy Gilbertson
    Kathy Gilbertson

I have these in my senior's building, but how do you clean them, they seem to be rusty...I am not a fan.. I've tried steel wool and vinegar and it helped...but how can I make them really clean and stop them from rusting???