Michelle McCaughtry
Michelle McCaughtry
  • Tutorial Team
  • Brainerd, MN

Just Paint - Unicorn Spit Light Switch Covers

$1

After giving the walls a fresh coat of paint, I decided that the walls deserve pretty "new" light switch covers. Here's what I did!

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.
just paint unicorn spit light switch covers
I started out planning to shampoo the carpet. But hey since it's all empty I decided a fresh coat of paint for the walls was in order. I went with a nice soft beachy blue . First get all materials in order, you'll need (Amazon)
I cleaned my plain dark brown switch covers well and got out my (Amazon) Navajo jewel and zia teal diluted 7 to 1 in dollar store/Amazon spray bottles. Good thing they are only a dollar because two of the triggers broke on me.
Navajo jewel and zia teal diluted 7 to 1 in dollar store spray bottles. Good thing they are only a dollar because two of the triggers broke on me.
First I sprayed the Navajo jewel. I used a mist setting.
Then zia teal over the Navajo. Again in a mist .
Dry with a (Amazon) if you're impatient like I am. 🙃
Dry with a heat gun if you're impatient like I am. 🙃
Seal with (Amazon) and let dry. Since these were a light plastic and I only did one light coat of sealer they dried very quickly
Done!
Done!

• Kimberly Thomas

How do I get oil stains off my a drive way
  • Cmm25053314

What’s the best kind of paint to use when I want to change the color of a large tin pressed box from bronze to silver, without it becoming too shiny?
  • Wink Harner

How did you achieve the spotty look finish?

• Michelle McCaughtry

You set your spray settings on the spray bottle for fine mist, or bolts etc. The lighter zia teal misted a wee bit heavier on top of the navajo jewel and created the spottiness. Which wasn't exactly what I was going for but no mistakes in art right?

• Patty

Love this.

• Birdy Daniel

The reason the triggers broke was because they were cheaply made. Next time save your money in the long run and buy better bottles made in America.

• Michelle McCaughtry

I certainly will - some places where you try to save money just aren't worth it in the long run....