Asked on Sep 4, 2017

How to Remove Pen Ink on Cotton

NancySandra HohenwarterNancy Turner
+12

Hi,
I have a baseball cap, MAKE A WISH that was my mothers it is very special to me.
I just got it from the nursing home and there is dark blue ink soaked through the cap, in several areas.
The cape is all white, with light blue lettering, 100% Cotton
Is there a way to get this ink out, or could I dye it?

• Fal4603261
    Fal4603261

Hydrogen peroxide may help. Don't get it on colored parts. Alcohol also is a possibility. Use a Qtip. HOPE YOU CAN SAVE CAP.
  • Linda Sikut
    Linda Sikut

If it's ink, I used to recommend hair spray (It always worked for me) but then another hometalker posted that there is less alcohol in hair spray so it's actually the alcohol that removes the ink. Like Fallen5729, I suggest you clean this carefully. Put a little on thne pat it with a clean cloth to absorb what's there. You can try letting it sit a little to see if that helps. If this cap is important to you because it belonged to your mom, you might just leave it alone. This represents your mom - ink and all. Good luck!
  • Suzette
    Suzette

Good luck!
  • Judy
    Judy

Try alcohol and a white clothe

• Cindy
    Cindy

Hi Sandra, We are a "wish" family. So I know first hand how much your Mom's hat means to you. I recently had to clean ink from inside my drier. I used alcohol prep pads and it worked with a bit of elbow grease. I hope this helps you. Good luck.
    • Cindy
      Cindy

Thank you, Sandra, for your kind words and sharing what I know is so difficult. Wishing you and your family all the best. God bless.
  • Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

When I still wore white uniforms in the hospital I frequently would get ink spots on the pockets, always red, nothing else. The alcohol worked really well for me no matter what fabric the uniform was made of, it even took it out of polyester without a problem.
  • Sandra Hohenwarter
    Sandra Hohenwarter

Wow, thank you all for replying to my question! All 6 had the same solution. I would have never thought it would be Alcohol.
    However nobody told me what kind or what percent! JUST KIDDING! lol
    Thanks again I going to get right on this.
  • Nancy
    Nancy

I think hairspray works too...probably because of the alcohol