Real Tree Branch Candle Holders

$0
1 Day

We love the outdoors at our house. I have always loved the look of the tree branch candle holders, but oh my goodness the prices!!! We were just in Grand Lake, Colorado camping over Labor Day and I saw some in a store for $15 each. We recently had an aspen tree pass away at our house and cut it down. We saved some of the branches and we made our own aspen branch candle holders!

It all started with a branch.  You'll want to let it dry out if you are going to seal it in the end.  If not, you'll be okay to move ahead sooner.  
I guessed at the size I wanted my candle holders to be and I sawed them to size.  After sawing them, I sanded the top and the bottom of the branches with a sanding block.
I used Polycrylic to seal the candle holders.  I was a little disappointed that some of the "white" from the aspen seemed to disappear, but I felt it better to seal the candle holder for long term and to prevent splitting and cracking as they dry.
Using a 1 1/2 inch spade drill bit in our drill, we made indents for the candles.
We tested both candle holders to make sure both a tealight candle and a battery operated tea light candle would fit into the holders.
We could have drilled the battery operated tealight down more but then the candle tealight would have sat down too low and we didn't want the flame that low in the wood.
Here they are finished, and we love the way they turned out!
Once you've made them, they're ready to be placed where you like.
I'm thinking these would make a great gift as well!

I would love to have you stop by my blog    Chas' Crazy Creations  for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

I would love for you to subscribe to my YouTube channel to see more of my crazy creations - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIOsMN7hycVRco-MROXwmXg
I'll be making this and more fall decor on on Hometalk's Facebook Live DIY - September 20th at 8pm EST.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

Chas' Crazy Creations

• Ila Brown

Thought you were making a Yule Log at first. They look great! Could you use another sealer so they would stay white?
    • Chas' Crazy Creations

I like the Yule Log idea, I have one more log... ☺️ I was just in a mountain town this summer where they were selling these. They either left them unsealed to keep the white or painted some white onto them before sealing. I have not tried another sealer but it might be worth looking into.
    • Joanne

Thanks for sharing I have some logs to try his with - so simple and earthy, love it!!!!

• Ann Wilson

Tile and grout sealer doesn't change the color of the item you are sealing. You could try it and see if it works for you. Love the candle holders!
      Ann
    • Chas' Crazy Creations

Thank you all, you are so sweet!
    • Leklinger7

you don't need to seal it.
  • Mary Buhler

Does anyone else see the dog optical illusion in the stained glass
  • Eva Marie Turner

Your very welcome
    With large tree stumps and logs could u use the same paints and sealer to make arrangements? Thinking about making a vertical plant holder with lights and maybe a horizontal pine tree design as anchors around front door.
  • Joyce morris

What other type tree could you use. I love aspens but with our hot weather in Alabama, they don't last here.
  • Lucy Marie Bernier

Chas, where and how is a good place to show my art work ? Not to expensive please.

• Robyn Garner

Great use of the loss of your tree! Question: maybe try some Mod Podge to see if that will seal them without "losing" the white of the skin???

• Chas' Crazy Creations

Thank you and thanks for that suggestion. I'm a huge Mod Podge fan so I'll have to give that a try :)