Stacy Davis
Stacy Davis
  • Tutorial Team
  • Fredericksburg, VA

Kitchen Table Redo - Part 1 - Granite Tiles

$100

This tutorial is very late in coming. We bought a kitchen table from Kmart many years ago. The underside of the table says 2005 so that is probably when we got it. It was great for many years but then the top began to look shabby. I decided to top it with black granite tiles. The following pictures are of when I did this about 5 years ago.  I am hopeful to find my version on a computer somewhere someday.
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
I first painted my table top black. It had been white. I laid out the granite tiles to determine how much extra space would be left around them. It ended up working out to put 2 rows of glass tiles at each end and 1 row of glass tiles on each side.
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
In this picture, I have just laid out the items to finalize before adding the adhesive. I made the decision not to grout in the granite tiles due to the weight factor. This way when I wanted to move the table I popped out the granite tiles and moved it. (The problem came when we were moving, some family members didn't know that if you pressed down on one corner, the tile popped up and you could remove it. They flipped the table upside down and several tiles broke when they hit the floor.)
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
I put down adhesive.
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
I put the glass tiles on top.
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
Finished all the way around.
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
I mixed up black grout the consistency of frosting or a thick batter. Do you see my supervisor in this picture? He is always checking out what I am doing...
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
I used a paint stick to put in on like frosting, catching pieces that fell with my sponge.
It was kind of fun and messy!
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
All grouted and ready to clean off with a damp sponge and a bucket of clean water.
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
This is the time consuming part.
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
Every time this haze appears, you wipe it away with clean water. It will come back, and back, and back...
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
This shows the area where I have cleaned away the haze but it still came back...
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
Super speedy here.

kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
kitchen table redo part 1 granite tiles
See this table go from marble to butcher block here http://www.hometalk.com/31621277/kitchen-table-redo-part-2-butcher-block

• Granite Tiles  (Floors, Decor and More)
  • Glass Tiles  (Lowes)