Asked on Sep 7, 2017

Leak in roof and mold in wall. Help! before the next rain!

SharonFLAlyssa
+5

Roof leak caused damage to sheet rock in 3 rooms. 3 roofers have not been able to find where the roof is leaking.
1. How can a roofer find a roof leak if the damage to the roof is not obvious?
2. What treatment is best to remove mold after sheet rock has been removed?

• Julanne Sharrow
    Julanne Sharrow

Water can travel....I had a leak coming in a window and traced it to 6' away from the window....it's a monster job trying to find a leak. Probably one nail doing it's thing.
    • Sherri schmitt
      Sherri schmitt

I have heard that water travels. I'm going to suggest to the next roofer that he uses a water hose on the roof if he too is unable to pinpoint the roof leak.
      Thanks
  • Alyssa
    Alyssa

Is it possible the water could be coming from under the roof--specifically, from an air conditioner? If the AC drain pan rusts or the drain line is clogged, your air conditioner can leak: https://www.cooltoday.com/blog/why-is-my-home-air-conditioner-leaking-water-inside-faq
  • FL
    FL

What a nightmare! I am assuming they go up on the roof and also inspect inside from the attic? I am also assuming they checked the flashing around the chimney plus any exhaust fans, etc? Your insurance will probably cover this mess and will probably tell you what you do next and who you need to call! Three roofers is a lot of professional opinion telling you they can't find the source, so unless it is a leaky pipe or an air conditioner's condensation, you have a real mystery. I wish you luck and check with your home insurance company!
    • Sherri schmitt
      Sherri schmitt

Unfortunately, our insurance company wants US to get a roofer on our own. Roofers have gone inside the attic and on top of the roof - checked A/C, flashing, chimney, etc.
      Thanks for your input.
  • FL
    FL

Wish I could do more. Good luck!
  • Sharon
    Sharon

I had a 2 sneaky leaks when I moved into this old house. First one was from the metal roofing installed incorrectly around the fireplace. The second one my handyman found inspecting the inside of the attic, and found the soffit wasn't sealed well, he caulked it an it never leaked again.
    I had the chimney taken down, and when they installed the new soffit, it leaked the first rain, got them to come back and caulk it, and that was the problem.
    If you have any valleys in your roof with flashings, they are notorious for leaking, as are skylights. Also gutters not caulked well and tight to the roof can cause problems...... and as you can tell from my story, soffits that aren't properly caulked are problems. I would hire a handyman and have him caulk everything.