Old Wood Transformed Into a Loving Headboard

$20
1 Day

For longer than I care to mention I have been contemplating transforming planks of wood into a mixed height headboard. The headboard is taken to the next level with cut out hearts, with a contrasting texture of calico revealed.
I started with wood purchased from a reclaim yard. With fortune on my side, they kindly cut all the planks to size for me, saving considerable time.
Start by painting a tea mixture onto your wood, once fully dry then painting with vinegar soaked with steel.
Once the wood was fully prepped hearts were drawn on the reverse of the wood using drill pieces as a template for the top of the hearts. Each heart is deliberately drawn free style, each slightly different in design, not only does this give a rustic homemade look it is also so much easier to complete!
I worked with my neighbour to create the headboard. I learnt so much from working with him, check the blog post for hints and tips regarding drill pieces. Plus all the measurements for the construction.
Once the headboards were assembled the final step was to add calico behind the hearts.
The DIY headboards have completely changed our spare room for the better, it has an upcycled feel to it, the headboard perfectly compliments the denim rag quilt (you can find instructions for that here).

Vickymcreations

• Marilyn Ballard

I would love a pattern for your quilt?

• Melody Boling Medlock

I believe that there was supposed to be a link in the last bit of writing on the post where she states "(you can find instructions for that here). It's unfortunate that the link isn't there. Thank you Mcgypsy9 for finding a link. ☺It's always refreshing when people help each other. ❤

• Nancy

Did anyone check to see how "Pitcher" is spelled? Picture is not the correct spelling for a container holding liquid. It is meant to describe photos and paintings, etc. that are framed or not framed. Right?

• Shirley Lewis

I think you meant "pitcher" not "picture"!

• Sandi

Would like to check out the quilt project....

• Goldbeargirl

I love it and the spelling makes zero difference in the awesomeness of your project!