What can be planted in window box for fall and winter in zone 7?

+4
  • Mar7620754 Mar7620754 on Sep 08, 2017
    Petunias
  • DesertRose DesertRose on Sep 08, 2017
    Mums are gorgeous fall flowers. and come in fall colors including copper tone. Mums are among my favorite and many others. They definetly say "fall is here."
  • Dennis Ryan Dennis Ryan on Sep 08, 2017
    yes mums are the best. Before the soil freezes solid transplant them into a garden in a permanent location with full sun. If they are local grown hardy fall mums they will return the next year. They are perrenials and will come back in late spring especially in zone 7. I live in zone 6 and about 1/2-2/3 of fall mums come back.
    when they grow about 4" high next year "pinch" the new growth and they will bush out wider. Do this every 4" of new growth occasionally, but no more after 4th of July.
  • Karen Krysowaty Karen Krysowaty on Sep 08, 2017
    Mums are a great idea for sunny areas in fall and summer. I would like to see if anyone has any ideas for boxes that are in partial shade

• Ava Ava on Sep 08, 2017
    Pansies are the only plant that continues to bloom thru the winter in zone 7. I've had some that still bloomed underneath snow!