Asked on Sep 10, 2017

What are these spots and how do I clean them?

EbbjdlStrWilliam
+7

Found a cute little suitcase that I want to turn into a small table but there is some sort of stain on the top. Any suggestions on how to clean this? I don't want to have to paint the suitcase because there is stitching around the edges that I would like to keep natural. As you can see by the inside picture, it appears to be constructed of a heavy cardboard type of material.
q what are these spots and how do i clean them
  • Karen Krysowaty

They look like water spots. Try some toothpaste and see if that works. I can't tell if this is vinyl or leather

• Rose Broadway

Looks like a water ring. Get some leather stain, or just try black shoe polish first. That may do it, if not, use stain.

Use saddle soap to clean it.

• Str

Rose has the right idea - it's a water stain and black shoe polish will take it out a treat. Make sure you use the wax type polish, not liquid. Put it on with a soft cloth, leave it (overnight if possible, the longer the better) then buff it with a clean cloth. It may show up differently to the rest of the case, so after that do it again but all over so as to even it out.

• Ebbjdl

This is mold if it's light greenish grey, can't tell from the picture. There is also mold around the hinges. I would use Lestoil, a very minute amount with a little on a rag and go over it easy to get the mold off. But I think it will return. After you treat it put it in the sun for about 5 hrs. Good Luck!