Asked on Sep 10, 2017

I have a sloping path to my front door and do not want a concrete side

Henrietta CarterDebAdele DuranGO
+12

How can I update it easily with little expense?
  • Gravel? Pavers? Decomposed granite?
    • Jessica Sims
      Jessica Sims

Start working at home with Google! It’s by-far the best job I’ve had. Last Friday I got a brand new BMW since getting a check for $6474 this - 5 weeks past. I began this 6-months ago and immediately was bringing home at least $85 per hour.. Go this web and start your work.. Good luck.... http://hyperurl.co/GoogleW0rkHome
  • Barb
    Barb

First check Craigslis, offer up and let go site for free bricks, wood or they do tend to sell them very cheap being the season on it's way out☹️🏖. Here's a few photos to visually get a idea of what kind of path you may pick📌 You can make your own concrete blocks, just a thought💡
  • Michele Pappagallo
    Michele Pappagallo

Check Craigslist for bricks or gravel. If you choose gravel, you could leave your pavers in place and just fill in around them. Lots of folks sell leftover bricks from projects, and since you don't need very many, you could buy those for a reasonable price.
  • SandyG
    SandyG

What a beautiful walkway you have, already. Maybe add some RR ties every so often, horizontally, to create "step/landings" while walking up the walkway. It would take a little digging to set them in the ground. You could use your mulch you already have. Good luck.
  • Blaire Simpson Oslander
    Blaire Simpson Oslander

I agree, railroad ties can act as levelers, and I'd use decomposed granite in between them as your budget allows. The granite is very small, you can actually walk on it barefoot and it is suitable for wet or dry spots, including if you have guests with mobility or balance issues. It's really like mini-terracing and looks great.
  • Deb
    Deb

Thank you!
  • Elaine
    Elaine

We had this problem with a path to our side door and simply placed stepping stones in the sod/soil. There are all sorts of shapes (round or square, etc.) and sizes. The stones are easily levelled and look really nice! In some of the depressions, because you have a slope, the sod or soil might be deeper on one side (of a stone) than the other but that can't be helped (due to the slope) but the end result looks great.
  • Deb
    Deb

Thank you. We have already done this and are looking for something different for a change.
  • Adele DuranGO
    Adele DuranGO

If you can, go ROCK COLLECTING in public lands where it is allowed. If not permitted or too difficult for you -- you can pick out pavers and gradually get the look you want. I absolutely L VE the naturalized pathways we have created. Your home and landscaping would be a showcase if you blend these looks together. Here are a few examples you may be able to develop going as woodsy or as polished as your style allows. Depends on your neighborhood... Upscale adaptations can be real showstoppers and they cost next to nothing but your creativity.
    , Use large flat rocks as pavers set plant soapwort and thyme between, Same idea curving pathway toward the house If you lay the pavers onto landscaping fabric or newspaper first you will prevent grasses from getting between the cracks and you can put pebbles to contrast, I used old railroad ties and staggered them Try to find old untreated ones new treated ones can leach and poison your landscaping
  • Deb
    Deb

Love this! You're going to crack up. I used to own a rock store and have all sorts of awesome rocks all over my property! Want sure what to plant in between. It's pretty shady there.

• Henrietta Carter
    Henrietta Carter

Use railroad ties to create a series of shallow steps filled with gravel. This requires a certain amount of maintenance to keep the gravel in place, but you will have the added benefit of hearing the gravel crunch when people approach your door.