Easy way to peel off bonded leather?

+8
So I bought bonded leather sofas being told they were real leather 😕 It started peeling within 2 years. The sofas are still sturdy we put covers on them but they are not fitted since the sofas are recliners. I'm peeling the entire sofa cause I'm tired of finding peels of bonded leather all over my house. Then I will be chalk painting. Question is there an easier way to peel off bonded leather other than sand paper and fingers????

• Big lulu Big lulu on Sep 10, 2017
    You are chalk painting your sofa???? Let us know how that works for you.
  • Ssa27128641 Ssa27128641 on Sep 10, 2017
    Same experience. Finish peeling if need be, then have them re-upholstered.
  • B. Enne B. Enne on Sep 10, 2017
    Maybe this will help...that stinks...good luck!
  • Sue28039999 Sue28039999 on Sep 11, 2017
    Try brushing the sofa with a vegetable brush or pet brush or even a hair brush.
    Once you brush off all the existing leather or faux leather and the sofa has been entirely peeled -- if professional reupholstering is not in your budget -- then you might consider either using fabric glue to help attach a new fabric to the existing fabric where you cannot use either visible upholstery tacks (such as front of arms) or staples; alternately, instead of chalk painting the sofa , you might consider using a sprayer with fabric dye/water mix to mist the fabric to add a hint of color rather than trying to add paint of any kind -- paint will crack as the fabric bends and you'll be worse off than with the peeling faux leather.
  • Jennifer Lee Jennifer Lee on Aug 30, 2018

Blowdyer!!! And heat it up snd use a butter knife to scrap off. Pratically falls off.

• S Denyse Willams S Denyse Willams on Feb 19, 2021

omgosh thank-you! That so works. Just tried it after reading your post. Got great sectional with excellent bones - just the faux vinyl started to peel real bad, ( with the help of my grands)

and I am so not ready to get rid of it.

Think Im going to use fabric paint to cover it. Again thanks so much for sharing!

• Gram in Az Gram in Az on Jun 22, 2020

great idea thank you had not thought about that

• Mcc49458982 Mcc49458982 on Aug 23, 2020

i am peeling my furniture and using it. It matches my decor. It will be better than walking around with brown speck on you and every one else.

• Mcc49458982 Mcc49458982 on Aug 28, 2020

i used adhesive tape and butter knife cleared my loveseat and sofa.,

• Chas' Crazy Creations Chas' Crazy Creations on Mar 05, 2021

Here's a post that might help https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLn6ednil3w