Asked on Sep 11, 2017

What is the best sealant to use for preserving woodcarvings.

Jan GairSusieQBabette
+15

I chainsaw carve , it a hobby i picked up this past year. I believe I am getting pretty good at it. I am looking for a sealant to preserve my work for many years.
  • Sharon
    Sharon

Since they are going to be outside, use marine epoxy.
    William

You are good!!! Use a marine grade varnish/polyurethane whether they will be inside or out.
  • I have nothing to add, but so admire your craft! Love these and you certainly have the hang of it! Look into selling at local craft fairs - these always do well. 😍
  • Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

First check with a hardware store, then go to Homedepot or Lowe's, and go the seasonal dept. Where they have lawn ornaments. See if you can find a wind mill or a single statue of a girl or animal. Then ask if they know what they used on the wood for a finish. This could be helpful, and you should experiment with say 3 small cans of different sealers on some scrap wood you have. See what you like and return the other 2. Good Luck. I admire you skill, it takes a lot of work.
  • Ida
    Ida

Could this sealant be used on bird houses?
  • Bill
    Bill

I use a mix of beeswax and mineral oil. (oil is 97 cents a pint at Walmart, used as a laxative)
    I have a old crock pot and mix it in different proportions.
    for outdoor things, i use less wax.
    this mix allows the wood to transpire, and protects it well, my counters bead water and don't stain.
    Totally non-toxic!! It does not support bacterial growth. As with most finishes, it will darken the wood.
    I us on bird houses, benches, butcher block, and tool handles.
    • Cathy Southerland
      Cathy Southerland

Love it! My dad worked at Hearst Castle in charge of caring for its antiques. on wood he used a 50/50 mix of linseed oil and turpentine. It does wonders for wood! Not sure about outside but he used it!
  • Pat Long
    Pat Long

Love the counter top. How often do you have to oil it?

• Pat Long
    Pat Long

Thanks
  • Pat Long
    Pat Long

Thank You.
  • Chubby58
    Chubby58

Love your carvings! They're beautiful!
  • Babette
    Babette

I would use a matte or satin finish deck sealer. Especially if the piece will be outside! Love the carvings, very nice work.
  • SusieQ
    SusieQ

There is a product that will keep wood sealed and keep it from cracking but I don't know the name of it.
  • Jan Gair
    Jan Gair

You are very talented. Love your Carvings.

• Pat Long
      Pat Long

Thank You, I am still working on the Southwest piece, it is coming along.

, This piece is coming along