Love Tempe
Love Tempe
  • Tempe, AZ

IKEA Frosta Stool Hack | Round Upholstered Ottoman

$45

Learn how to hack the IKEA Frosta Stool into a beautiful round padded ottoman.
ikea frosta stool hack round upholstered ottoman
Start out by tracing the seat of the stool onto both of our foam pads.
Once you have the circle traced onto both foam pads, cut out that circular shape from both foam squares using scissors or a craft knife.

Spray adhesive onto the top of the stool seat. Be sure to not spray any glue on the underside of the stool (the side with the holes).
Place your first layer of foam on top of the wood stool top and add another layer of spray adhesive before placing the second layer of foam. Once both layers of foam are placed, your stool top will look like this. Let glue dry.
Lay out your fabric of choice and trim to size.
While trimming, periodically check to make sure the fabric fits up the side of the wall of foam and has a couple inches overhang on top.
Once fabric is cut to size, it will look like this. Fabric should be a circle shape and stool top should be placed in the center with the wood side facing up.
To begin upholstery, pull fabric taught and place 3-5 staples in close proximity.
Directly across the stool from where you started, pull fabric very tight and place 3-5 more staples to secure fabric in place.
Begin working your way around the stool, pulling tight and placing staples. The fabric will pleat naturally and you can use as many staples as you need. Keep working around, pulling tightly and placing staples.
Once all staples are in place, it will look like this from the under side. The fabric should be smooth on the top.
Trim away the excess fabric. At this point, you may want to trim your legs 6" shorter to accommodate for the 6" of added height by the padding. And then assemble per IKEA's instructions. You can also choose to stain your legs a different color, like I did.
Here's the end result! I made this ottoman to match my new chair and I think it turned out great.
Watch my video for the complete tutorial! Don't forget to subscribe to my channel for more DIY videos like this one.

• Frosta Stool  (Ikea)
  • 3" x 14" x 14" Premium Poly Foam Pad  (Hobby Lobby)
Love Tempe

• Tcs

I'll bet you could just get a small table round and proceed as you did, adding another layer of foam. Cover it and use as an ottoman. May have to try this. Thanks. Great job.
    • Love Tempe

Hey there! That's a great idea for a larger ottoman size. Thanks for reading! :)

• L. Creative

I’d love to know where you got that upholstery material!