Chalk Painted Oak Pressed Back Chairs!

$20

Oak pressed back chairs are rare to find in Japan...unless you're my wife. She found four of these bad boys for only $20. I can't believe these were only 5 bucks each. This is how she painted them using Annie Sloan old white chalk paint.
These are the finished chairs!
These are the chairs before.
Check out those chair backs!
We started with Annie Sloan chalk paint. Annie Sloan has started making a name for herself in Japan. She has a Japanese website, Facebook page and is making appearances with her paint at DIY expos.

I love Annie Sloan paint...but it's almost double the price over here...even her brushes! My jaw actually fell off of my face when we first checked out the price list.

For those who make their own chalk paint, please leave your recipes in the comments.
My wife did all four chairs by herself. She started with sanding the seats. This was the most difficult part.
After the seats were sanded, she taped everything off and started painting.

You don't need to do any surface prep if you use Annie Sloan chalk paint. No sanding or priming is necessary. She just cleaned the surface and went to town.
Here she is lightly applying the chalk paint. She was careful not to get any paint in the design.
After everything was dry she applied Annie Sloan clear soft wax.
Now its time to wax the oak seats. My lovely wife used Teak Briwax for this.
We totally buff Briwax with a shoe shine brush. Works like a charm!
She only applied one coat of Briwax to the chairs.
She went over parts of the chair with sand paper to get this distressed look.
There they are. She did a phenomenal job and we couldn't love them more. These chairs look like they were designed to be painted.

For more projects and especially holiday decor, drop by Bryan's Workshop on Facebook and Instagram.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

To see more: https://www.facebook.com/bryansworkshop/

• Lynne

I have never used chalk paint, but I love these chairs. I have chairs that I've been wanting to paint. Do you think this would not be the project for a beginner??

• Bryan's Workshop

Gorgous Lisa! Is that project on Hometalk? I am very interested in doing a cane bottom chair.

• B.g27327259

The chairs look so nice, but what do I do with the table? I have a dining set very similar to yours and would love to make this change!

• Ron Rayher

I would do the legs and any other under structure of the table with the chalk paint, to match the chairs and the table top should match chair seats.

• Jennifer Wright Bandy

Why would you paint antiques?!?

• Belinda Titus

I dont know that these chairs are Antique. I have some and they are replicas.