Missing mortar- Is there anything I can use to fill in small areas?

Is there anything I can use to fill in small areas of mortar that has come out around bricks on my house and steps. To have it removed and refilled again with mortar is too costly for me right now.

  7 answers
  • Phy21555628 Phy21555628 on Sep 14, 2017
    I get a bucket of premixed concrete at Home Depot and it spreads very easily.
  • Jim Okerblom Jim Okerblom on Sep 14, 2017
    You can buy a bag of mortar, mix it according to direction, and carefully fill in the damages areas with a small tuck-pointing trowel designed for this work. Wet the old mortar with a sprayer before adding the new mortar. Then lightly spray the mortar you added with water every half hour or so as it hardens. If it is in direct sun, cover it with something, or wait until it is out of the sun. Cement products work best if they are kept moist as they set slowly.
  • Barb Barb on Sep 14, 2017
    Yes they sell premixed pails and they set fast, no worrie, under 12 buckets
  • Karen Krysowaty Karen Krysowaty on Sep 14, 2017
    You can purchase the premix pails and also get the small trowel tool. I also found that using an icing bag to put the mix in then use the trowel to even it out works
  • Jim Okerblom Jim Okerblom on Sep 15, 2017
    They actually sell bags for concrete that look like an icing bag. But an icing bag will work, too!
  • Sharon Sharon on Sep 15, 2017
    Get yourself a mortar tuck pointing trowel, it will make much easier to get in the joints and smooth it. Homestore or hardware store should have one.
    This guy is a master mason IMHO.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2mRTVp5Kqk