Fall Front Porch & Copper Door

$16
1 Day

I wanted to redo my front porch for fall for less than $20, so I put the family to work Saturday. Here's what we've done so far...
Before
First I removed everything from summer, including the screen door, to begin with a clean slate. My fresh husband began taping my windows to paint with my stepson.
We used paint from a previous project and painted the door dark red-orange.
Meanwhile I found green spray paint in the craft closet and put my stepdaughter to work on the planter. Teens love spray paint!
In my college daughter's room was a mass produced canvas in muted fall colors. No one liked it.
Blah
I got out some craft glue, rhinestones and acrylics and reworked it to make it pop.
Then I hung the finished project on the porch.
Ahhhh!
I reworked a summer wreath by attaching a fall garland over the top of summer flowers with wire. A hot glued orange pumpkin brought it all together. I did the same thing with the flowers, leaving in some spring (pinks) and putting more fall colors around them. I grabbed a 9 cent pillow (seriously!) from my pillow stash and popped it on the chair that I need to recover someday (after the neighbor's cat stops sleeping in it at night) 😂. (It would help if my hubby stopped feeding it CREAM!) Then I put out a fall leaf, moved the summer doormat back in place and kept the blue summer lantern out because it lights up at night 😍.
But it looked crowded and funky.
THEN I remembered that I originally wanted to paint the door COPPER! So I went out and BOUGHT the first thing for this project: Rustoleum Hammered Copper Paint, and repainted the door.
COPPER!
After that I began texting my mom, a gifted artist and decorator for help. I'd change something then send her a pic and we'd talk about what was wrong and what was working. Here are a few vetoed arrangments:
The rag rug 😳
Without the pop of blue 😞
I went through several pillows, several pumpkins and a lot of rugs. The pillows were too busy, the pumpkins were too orange, and the rugs were to wild or too small!
Finally we settled on the following photo.

P. S. There are still a lot of porch projects to do before this redo is completed. I plan to redo the house numbers, find the perfect floor mat, repaint the railing and metal chair and recover it, paint the concrete (faux brick, stone or perhaps even try the wood roller project posted on Hometalk)! Etc etc, the fun never ends...but sometimes the buck stop here 😆.
The poinsettias light up at night

Recycled decor

15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
3 Gorgeous Ideas to Use Photo Frames - and Not for Pictures!
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
15 Unbelievable Ways People Paint Their Walls
25 Impressive Ways You Can Update Your Ikea Purchases!

• Nancy
    Nancy

How did you hang the wreath?
    • Stacie A
      Stacie A

I don't know how she hung it, but I'm thinking she likly used a 3M stick on hook (they come in metal & plastic now). The kind you can easily remove if you don't need it any longer. I have a wreath hanger on my front door now, but cldnt use one at our other house...so I used a 3M brand stick on hook & it worked perfect. No sticky residue when I removed it & it didn't damage the paint on the door either.
    • Cynthia Hutchison
      Cynthia Hutchison

Command Hook, probably. I use them, too, for my back door wreath. Beautiful project!
    • Heather Brown
      Heather Brown

The door came with a hook.
    • Sootie
      Sootie

How about a small nail?
  • Raa6539478
    Raa6539478

Is this a wood door? Would the paint work on a steel door?
  • Cyn19526313
    Cyn19526313

How can I camouflage my window a/c unit in my front porch?
  • Veronica Alward
    Veronica Alward

Where did you get your blue light?
  • Diane Weldy Tavegia
    Diane Weldy Tavegia

Can you remove the blue globe? That's a huge stand out no matter where you've put it. Also, I'd remove those pink flowers from the big pot and darken the green pot even if you had to sponge paint to make it look older with some dabs of brown or the copper. That green is a spring/ green apple and doesn't match the other greens.

• Sue11499370
      Sue11499370

Personally, I love the blue globe and the green planter with it. "Matchy Matchy" is not my thing. This has a Great Eclectic feel that is gorgeous and fun.
    • I believe she did remove the blue globe?
    • Nina
      Nina

I agree with Diane!
    • Millie
      Millie

I am no decorator and you did a lot of good work. I am not a fan of the flowers either. However, I'm not sure I have a great suggestion for you. Really do like the color of copper on the door

• Cvm21475572
      Cvm21475572

I really like what you have done. It does not matter what others think this is your home so make it yours. Great job!
    • S.Jean
      S.Jean

A plant with colors in it would be nice in the pot.
    • Gail Teel
      Gail Teel

instead of the pot of flowers I would try a tall tree branch with some type of vine/ivy draping over the edge. I personally liked the big leaf. I would have left it and tried the tree branch under it. But good job!
    • Fenna
      Fenna

I don't have an answer also, just wanted to say I like the end result. Love the blue globe, it pops out nicely
  • Susan Caswell
    Susan Caswell

Was that copper paint spray paint?
    • Ken
      Ken

Yes. Good stuff. Looks great and coverage is excellent.
    • Liz
      Liz

Rustoleum Hammered Copper Paint
    • Stephanie Fudge
      Stephanie Fudge

Rustoleum Hammered Copper Spray paint.

• Mother Harper
      Mother Harper

1. Maybe spray the house number s the same as the door??
    • Debbie
      Debbie

I think painting trim around the door in a dark grey would make that beautiful copper door pop!!! Also a dark bronse for door hardware and numbers
  • Thelma
    Thelma

Is the big leaf hanging on the wall a place mat?
    • Liz
      Liz

No it was in her daughters dorm room that they did not like. So she took rhinestones, etc to spruce it up.
    • Pas13195345
      Pas13195345

The leaf appears to be either wood or a heavy plastic. It does not seem, to me, to be a place mat. (Liz referred to the wall hanging, not the leaf.)

• Barbara
      Barbara

She spruced up the hanging on the LEFT wall next to the chair, not the leaf. And it does look better without it. It was too large.
  • Cindy
    Cindy

What was the name of the red orange color you used?
  • Louise
    Louise

Your FRESH husband? Lol
  • Faye
    Faye

Looks great but I think I would paint that flower pot some other color - maybe copper also??
    • Flo29845237
      Flo29845237

I think the pot color brings out the colors in the print much better than without the green. Good choice in my opinion.
    • Cheryl
      Cheryl

I'd pick up the burgundy for the flower pot! 🙋🏻cheryl
    • Jeannie Darby Matteson
      Jeannie Darby Matteson

The green flower pot and blue lamp balance out the bright paintin on the left. Leave them as is.
    • Marlene Crawford
      Marlene Crawford

Someone shows what they did and then the others have to chime in about what they would change. Just go do your own thing.
    • Bk.30368728
      Bk.30368728

The pot color goes with the apples in the wreath. My thought was something need to be above the pot to balance both sides and remove the blue lantern. (Maybe hang the lantern above the pot?)
  • Debbie
    Debbie

I believe that my front door is aluminum. Can you paint that kind of door?
    • Yvonne Procter
      Yvonne Procter

Looks great!! The summer/fall flowers are not working for me though xx
    • Sg_28604155
      Sg_28604155

Yes you can paint an aluminum door.
      1st-Clean with household cleaner like 409.
      2nd-PRIME with a good quality latex metal primer
      3rd-topcoat with an exterior latex semi-gloss paint
      OR- Prime/paint with DTM (Direct-To-Metal) paint, like benjamin moore Ironclad latex low lustre finish.
    • Jean
      Jean

its beautiful. love that door.
  • Wanda
    Wanda

Maybe spray the house #s in the same copper as the door??!!
    • Sun25843110
      Sun25843110

Great idea!
    • Nancy Flemming
      Nancy Flemming

I agree, my first thought when I saw the end product. Very nice I love what she did especially the door.

• Christkitty2000
      Christkitty2000

Yep, spray the house numbers copper!!
    • Diane Miller
      Diane Miller

Love it I like the lantern on wall but love the new look!!! Copper numbers !! Great job
    • Millie
      Millie

My two cents: spray the pot black, put the lantern back on the wall, remove pink and fuchsia flowers and replace with more yellow, pops of the lantern blue, rust, and some deep greens. Spray the numbers black to pick up the pot color. Let that stunning copper door be the only copper.
    • Jean
      Jean

I agree, the numbers would look better with the door paint.
  • Rose Broadway
    Rose Broadway

Loved the transition, maybe paint the pot black?
    • Sandi
      Sandi

I agree! Paint the pot black! Looks too springy! Love the copper door! Beautiful!! And get rid of pink flowers. Save them for spring! Love your ideas!
    • Heather
      Heather

Absolutel! Paint the pot black, more fall that way! It'll make it all come together!
    • Sharron Christie
      Sharron Christie

Agree, a black pot would ground it all but I do like the pink flowers. They're very welcoming.

• Nan5449037
      Nan5449037

No way! love the green!
    • Christkitty2000
      Christkitty2000

Paint the pot black!
    • Nancy Hall
      Nancy Hall

I agree, black pot, black house numbers & save the pink for spring. Very cozy porch. Nice work! Njh

• Rosemary Pope-Wallin
      Rosemary Pope-Wallin

Leave the flowers in the pot with the mix of pinks and oranges, to echo the canvas on the wall.

• Ginny
      Ginny

I would have a gray color chair. Too much color with the canvas on wall & colored flowers.
    • Joyce Scott
      Joyce Scott

I love the fact that everyone has a different outlook! While black and gray are two of my favorite go-to's, I tried to look at the total picture. In my mind's eye, the green pot is a muted shade and it ties in with the green in the re-worked painting and with the green apples or tomatoes in the wreath, the chair and the cushion tie in with the copper door and the small swag at the top, the cushion also brings in the grays of the house, trim, and railing, and the pink and plum colored flowers in the green pot. Also the blue light on the floor continues the coordination of the blue flowers in the painting. So far as changing the color of the house numbers, I don't think I would. They are the same color metal as the door knob, and lock as well as the fact that they balance with the yellows in the painting. Also the numbers are shiny and need to be as bright as possible for emergency personnel. Someone commented on the area being small, but it appears to be well done. My entry way does not have to match, but I happen to love it! We can all admire the crafty inspiration and creativity here and then do yours as you wish!

• Shirley Barnett
      Shirley Barnett

I love it like you have it. If you wanted to change anything, only the pot and I think their ideas of black would tend to ground it. Love the chair as is, blends nicely. Flowers, spring or not are always cheerful and can be changed at any time. Great project, inviting little porch. Have fun.

• Laurie Happnie Siders
      Laurie Happnie Siders

I love it just as it is as well and give you props on doing this on such short money but these articles captions are so misleading - unless you have all this materials around the house it is not a $16 project as the title implies. (PS I LOVE the green pot!)
    • Sot25458863
      Sot25458863

Beautiful! It looks happy, and welcoming.  I prefer the green pot too. Have you considered some tie-on slip covers for the chair so you can change them with each season?
  • JaneyLittle46
    JaneyLittle46

how did you make the paint
  • Diena Cameron
    Diena Cameron

Hi, i absolutely love what you did with the front door. My question is : did you ever think of painting the pot copper ? I think what's not working is the Turquoise, don't get me wrong, i am in love with Turquoise and have a huge thing for it right now everywhere in my home and out ! haha, but i just don't see it here. I think you should paint out some of the green leafs and repaint them copper and burnt orange like fall. Paint the numbers copper along with the pot. Maybe calm it all down with white railings ?? Ask your mom, sounds like she knows what she is doing .) Don't forget to post if you do any changes, we are all excited to see what you do, you've already made a huge change with front door, it's beautiful ! .)
    • Edith Jason
      Edith Jason

I would use the pillow for color inspiration. Maybe paint the planter a more muted, darker green (pillow). Loose the pink flowers in planter and add darker reds and golds (pillow, wall art). Love, love, love the door!
    • Sta21990204
      Sta21990204

The seat cover on the chair and the rug need to be brighter and the rug also larger
    • Carolyn Bedford
      Carolyn Bedford

Yhe fake bright colored flowers are the problem. Try corn stalks ot something more natural in possibly a black pot. The door is beautiful.
    • Linda
      Linda

I love your front door! I would put the green pillow back in the chair.
    • Mis7788871
      Mis7788871

Looks beautiful as is.

• S
      S

Please lose the pink flowers in the pot! And while the art work is nice, try painting over some of the spring colors with fall colors or go to the Dollar Tree and find some fall signage to hung there. You've got a nice start just stick with he fall colors and you've got it!!!
    • Lj-29201214
      Lj-29201214

You have a good head start, just keep going a little bit more. The swag over the door is too thin, beef it up and make it longer on the sides. These are Fall colors so stick with them. Dump the glass candle and the fake flowers. I'd raise the flower print a little or tip it on it's side. It looks like you would hit it with your shoulder if you sat in the chair. The green pot needs to be black and dry brushed with the Copper.
    • Erin Peters-Fortunato
      Erin Peters-Fortunato

Definitely add more fall foliage within the planter, which I'd age over the turquoise color. dollar Corn husks? Maybe intertwine string lights inside another lantern that you can paint to carry the copper color. I purchased a rug from 5 below and sewed 2 together as a entry rug on my slate porch as well. I was able to tie in the colors and add in a personal touch ($6). I also have the kitty dilemma so I wrap the pillow in cheap remnants at the fabric store ($3-5) so I don't have to kick itty bitty off lol 😆 I recently took a wine barrel ring, fashioned it into a pumpkin and pulled vine from the stone on my home to wrap. Those suckers grow everywhere. Very similar placement but different colors. Wish I can post!
    • Sherry Fisher
      Sherry Fisher

Love the finished product!
    • Val hetherington
      Val hetherington

You did a fantastic job. Looking lovely, clean and out there. Enjoy!
    • Bbunny42
      Bbunny42

Love the copper door. Like the idea of painting the pot black brushed with copper and filling with corn stalks or something else seasonal; the flowers do nothing for your beautiful porch. Or paint the pot copper or the color of the chair (love the big checked pillow); also the numbers.
    • Danielle Odin
      Danielle Odin

Leave it as is. I think it is beautiful.
    • Paula Pittinger McNeely
      Paula Pittinger McNeely

I think her idea is to make it look like a transition. Not quite fall & not much summer left.
    • Pam LoCoco
      Pam LoCoco

I love what you did. You have a sharp eye for decor and your work gave me lots of ideas.
    • Pat
      Pat

I was thinking of doing a yellow door but now that I see the copper, it is beautiful. I have a sage green two story colonial. Love your door idea.
    • Ebbie Eklond Nobles
      Ebbie Eklond Nobles

Love the canvas, door, chair ,rug and pillow. i always use terra-cotta pots outside and inside and life plants. Lowes ,Homes Depot or better yet local nursery should have choices for you to plant in it. Please don't get me wrong I love your look your mom is gifted.
    • Gailwj63
      Gailwj63

I like what you've done, especially the copper door and pillow; also what you have planned. I agree with someone above that the swag over the door can take a lot more density and length. Brings out the color on the pillow. ....and fall foliage in the pot with the red, orange, golds, etc. would look wonderful. Of course we all seem anxious to "give advice" and really what is that worth?...but it is fun to get new ideas. Do you know what you're going to paint the railing and metal chair? Black? Or I like the color I see on it already. Seems to go with the door trim. With your redo of your cement, rug, and more, it's a magazine cover entry! It's fun, too, isn't it!!
  • Diana Deiley
    Diana Deiley

Looks fabulous. Will you change it for Christmas?
  • Linda Wilkins Cleary
    Linda Wilkins Cleary

I love the copper color door and the contrasting color of the frame. What is the name & brand of the paint on your door frame ?
    • Vickie Lowery Snead
      Vickie Lowery Snead

she says in the material list
    • Heather Brown
      Heather Brown

Rustoleum Hammered Copper paint
    • Linda Wilkins Cleary
      Linda Wilkins Cleary

In the photo above, the door FRAME appears to be a different color than the door's Rustoleum Hammered Copper paint. The FRAME is the color I was inquiring about. I like the contrasting color, what is the name & brand of that paint ?
  • Terry
    Terry

Have you considered painting the address numbers copper too? That would tie in nicely. I love how your whole family chipped in.
    • Heather Brown
      Heather Brown

Yes! That is on the to do list!
    • Diane
      Diane

Good idea!

• Sha28394771
      Sha28394771

My front door is exactly like your's! Thank you for the wonderful ideas. 😄 Have been wondering what to do with the door , particularly for some privacy with Windows.
  • Amc27401695
    Amc27401695

I would love to paint my door the same. The under color, was that intentional to accomplish the finished look? Did you have step by step directions?
    At the moment my door is yellow. I would like something that has more pop.
    • Heather Brown
      Heather Brown

It was not intentional. The hammered copper is a very thick paint. It will cover most anything! I simply taped and painted.
    • Lenore
      Lenore

I love the color of the door. Gave me a great idea for my plain dark brown cedar house with the trim the same color as the house ( boring)
  • Darlene
    Darlene

If you paint your house numbers copper, will they be visible at night in case you ever need 911 first responders? Would recommend adding one of those green reflective address signs at the street end of the sidewalk so your home can be found quickly in an emergency.
    • Heather Brown
      Heather Brown

Great advice Darlene! Thank you
    • Jo
      Jo

They look Brass too me!

• Mcgypsy9
      Mcgypsy9

They probably are brass Jo. She hasn’t painted them yet and DARLENE she didn’t state she was painting them copper, only that they were going to be painted. Also, DARLENE that is fantastic advice about the first responders. I need to do that around here because you never know when you will need their help and everyone always goes down the road next to my driveway and then has to turn around to get back to my house.

HEATHER...VERY NICELY DONE!

• Linda Wilkins Cleary
    Linda Wilkins Cleary

• Heather Brown
      Heather Brown

I'm sorry, I don't have that information available. My house painters are on vacation out East.
    • Marguerite Shipley
      Marguerite Shipley

I think you could show this photo at a paint or hardware store and they should find a close match. It looks like some shade of green.
  • Diane Marie Saladino
    Diane Marie Saladino

now !!! what are you doing for Christmas & winter?
    • Heather Brown
      Heather Brown

It was fairly hurried, but I did go back into the post and put a pic in of it!
    • Joanne stamps
      Joanne stamps

WoW..we just got into fall porches...

• Shi33384122
      Shi33384122

8

• Dee
      Dee

I love what you posted for Winter! The entire project is beautiful. Thank you for sharing. I wouldn't have thought of copper paint for a door. LOVE THAT!!

• Kathi
    Kathi

That's outstanding, but wouldn't it have been better to clean the siding near the top?

• KrissyAnn Miller
      KrissyAnn Miller

I focused on the good stuff 😂 I didn't even notice that until you did

• Joanne stamps
      Joanne stamps

someone will always find something negative...it looks great. I just finished my porch, and I am going back to it for corrections or additions as the season goes on

.

• Lisa Irvin Haynes
      Lisa Irvin Haynes

wow some people need to not talk or respond. judgey much? you did great!

• Deb Pro
      Deb Pro

I bet your house is perfect, Kathi. What a buzzkill. Wow. Heather you and your family did great! Ignore the trolls.

• Its34161075
      Its34161075

...It's beautiful....I love it!!!

• Vicki Kaiser
      Vicki Kaiser

Sounds Snarky

• Robin Laguer
      Robin Laguer

Ignore detractors. Really lovely project.

• ReneeL
      ReneeL

Sorry, but that was my first thought, too. Power wash the whole porch and go from there. Love the copper door and plaid pillow!

• Dee Simmons
      Dee Simmons

Looks great! I would recommend making the house number darker so it sticks out more or attach them to some sort of backing and make them copper as well. Love the different rugs. It is fun to change them up for the seasons. Took me forever to get everything exactly the way I wanted it. Still change it up throughout the year. Love the door color.

• Cindy Plaisance Maddux
      Cindy Plaisance Maddux

Great redo on your porch. I love the red orange door a little more than the copper but the copper does look amazing. The one thing in particular that my eye is drawn to is your chair...I love it.

• Diane Vincent Poindexter
    Diane Vincent Poindexter

I don’t know what I can do with my front door. Would you or your gifted mother want to look at it and help out? Love what you did to yours

• DebraLW
      DebraLW

Just post a picture of your front door/porch on a home decorative FB group & you’ll get all the suggestions you want!

• Donna Jones
      Donna Jones

And probably some you don’t!!! Lol 😆

• I’ve been wanting to paint our outer doors copper for several years also. Although I’ve been having trouble locating exterior copper paint. Is your choice durable enough for the extreme weather and the elements? I live near The Great Lakes, therefore through all four seasons. Please advise regarding your choice. Thanks!

• Sharon Tharp
      Sharon Tharp

It’s Rustoleum! so yes!

• Jewellmartin
      Jewellmartin

Rustoleum 2X is even better, but I found several brands of hammered gold, silver, bronze, copper and a couple more metals. Keep posting! Jewell

• Tea
    Tea

Why do you need a pillow at all, I also preferred the pinkish Rug. Loved the copper door, inspiration at its best!

• Tina
    Tina

Looks great! Love the copper door!!

• Patti
    Patti

What is a “fresh husband”?

• Michael
      Michael

I wondered the same thing.... And where can I order one?

• Marsha Hollister
      Marsha Hollister

Not stale🤷🏼‍♀️

• Amazing Grace !
      Amazing Grace !

Yes I wondered the same! What's a fresh husband?

• Elizabeth Kelly
      Elizabeth Kelly

It’s a brandy new one..still smells good, willing to help around the house...opposite of “old fart”🤷‍♀️

• Meldrape
      Meldrape

Agreed. My husband also can be "fresh".

• Rose Broadway
      Rose Broadway

Mine is an old fart, but a lot of time he surprises me!

• Peggy
      Peggy

A fresh husband is the one that replaces the old one. Better than day old bread!

• KB
    KB

Have you thought of painting the concrete stairs and porch?

Also, a suggestion....paint your address numbers a darker colour as they are hard to see.

Your hard work has paid off. Congrats.

• Paege
      Paege

Oh oh I know, I have one too! It means he is more than precious but less than French! Haha. Sorry. Can't help myself sometimes.

• Kimberly Fricke Clawson
      Kimberly Fricke Clawson

I think you should spray paint your house numbers to match the door!

• Nancy
      Nancy

She said that she was going to do more later and house numbers was on the list.

• Audrey budzynski
    Audrey budzynski

I do like the door that you finally ended up with. My Problem is I will soon be without this Husband. He isn't working out. Frankly he is nothing but a mooch. My first Husband died. He knew how to do everything. This guy knows nothing. You have to hire someone to tie his shoes. Anyhow, I do like the door part. However we do have a lot of weather that comes in on our porch. I don't want to put plastic up around it as the wind will just tear it off. So really need some ideas on how to enclose the porch for the Winter. He put up a shower curtain, which was a piece of crap. So I took that down. Need some ideas on how to enclose it without it making it so dark. Help!!! I might try that on my Kitchen Door. The front door needs a coat of clear water proof stuff on it. I will get to that I hope. Right now I need to buy a new Swamp Cooler for the Front Porch, the one I have is leaking and going to ruin my flooring on the front porch. thanks Jane

• Fly
      Fly

Depending on the size: Put up a screen door on one side, build a brick/concrete/lumber half wall and screen the top. Depends on your decor, but you could use old windows and create the top of you half wall. If you don't have a lot of help the screen door or an old architectural door, or a cedar fence panel, could block the bottom half and just screw it directly to the house, or use "L" brackets, wooden braces, concrete screws to screw it to the porch, etc.

• Kathy Bitzan
      Kathy Bitzan

Boy, I understand husbands that are incompetent around the house. Had one like yours and then the next one would do a sloppy job to tick me off even though he had all the tools I purchased to do a good job. Plus the 3000 for a shed for said tools. He knew how to use them too. Any way you can do this. Rise up and conquer! You are woman that can do anything.

Check with your local paint department for a good quality paint to withstand the elements so you dont have to repeat every year unless you want to....

• Meldrape
      Meldrape

We all need a fresh husband from time to time.

• Renee
      Renee

This looks awesome. I don't like matchy match, so I love all the different textures makes it so interesting and fun....I have one suggestion and I am not being critical at all.....sometimes we all get fixated on a piece we love....so we keep it....not thinking we can find another home for it.....I'm talking about the blue lantern.....I love it....however I think it pulls your eye right to it...and then you lose the great job you have done....in your picture I put my thumb over the blue lantern and wow everything else pulls together....so you could find that new home for it or paint it maybe green....just a thought.....anyway I love what you have done....it it fabulous!!!!

• Cheryl Malinen
      Cheryl Malinen

A hoot!

• Sue
      Sue

I would trade him in....lol

• Leisa Wright
      Leisa Wright

I understand. This close to getting rid of my husband as well. Let’s pray about it! Hang in there! 1 Corinthians 1-6

• Ruth
      Ruth

Refreshing. All of it.

• Peggy
      Peggy

Time for a fresh one. Out with the old, in with the new is a long time saying for a reason.

• V Smith
      V Smith

Addressing the porch with weather coming in. At the fabric store they sell clear vinyl in different grades of thickness. Pick the best one you can afford. Find coupons on-line before you go to the store. Measure the height of your porch. If you have a railing figure on tying your vinyl to the bottom rail. Using an exacto knife and a gromet set cut holes and insert gromets, hammer closed (follow the instructions that come with gromet set) . Set your gromets 6 - 8 inches apart on the top and bottom. Run a strong nylon cord thru the gromets and around the bottom rail. At the top you can install hooks and hang the vinyl from the gromets. The vinyl should last a couple of winters but not much longer. You can do the same thing with nylon screening in the summer months.

• Robin
      Robin

You are a hoot😂😂😂😂

• Ruth Cosgrove
      Ruth Cosgrove

Do you have a Restore? Surround the porch with old windows and doors.

• Glenda Smith
      Glenda Smith

Having had several husbands myself, I can tell you not to waste more time on this one. When I had to ask myself "What does he do for ME?" and "Is he adding to my life or to my stress?" - I knew it was time to move on - so I did. Now for the porch. My suggestion is to use lattice work - mount it on the railing and attach it to the house wall and ceiling of the porch. You can then put the plastic inside or outside of it. I'd wish you good luck but it sounds like you've got it covered on all fronts, girl.

• Artsy Fartsy
      Artsy Fartsy

Audrey,

why did you sign this post with a different name? Odd

• Lynn
      Lynn

I’ve had to replace my husband also. I have now made a list of “I do’s” and “ I dont’s” to see if they qualify. If he can’t hammer a nail in a 2x4 he goes under I don’t. If he can, I do. Etc etc etc Good luck you will be just fine!

• Teri of South Florida
      Teri of South Florida

I found this quite entertaining so I read it to my husband; ironically he had a different opinion. (If the shoe fits, lol)

William

Ya see, women are never satisfied.

• Judie Osher Hetrick
      Judie Osher Hetrick

Corragated fiberglass sheets

• Karen Anikis
      Karen Anikis

Husbands who need hired help just to tie their shoes are the WORST! 😂🤣😝

• Debbie Allison DeLoach
      Debbie Allison DeLoach

Your post is awesome! Thank you for the chuckle this morning!

• Sandy Harper
      Sandy Harper

Audrey, I love your sense of humor.

You are stronger than you know.

You may be able to do more than you think.

Take it in baby steps.

And dump the dead weight.

We are women, hear us roar.

Good luck and God Bless

• Connie-Kevin
      Connie-Kevin

Hi, it would take a little frame work but lattice panels would let light in and provide some privacy. It comes in a white vinyl and so easy to keep up. Strong enough that you could hang a wreath on it. Just a thought. A few 2x4's, screws and the lattice.

• Lydia
      Lydia

You could try lattice on the porch to close it in and still get light.

• Tlkollar
      Tlkollar

OMG! You are a HOOT! LOL! Do you write for a hobby ( or living?) if not you should! Good luck with Mr. Second! Mr. Handmedown! Not Mr. Handy Man!

• Kate
      Kate

Audrey thank you for the laughs this morning.

I'm sorry to hear about your husband passing away. I know it's hard but dump that new husband. You are much stronger than you think. I found that out on my own and was surprised at how much I was able to actually accomplish! You can do it!! Have faith.

• Pam MacLeod
    Pam MacLeod

I think you are genius. What a fabulous and creative job you have done. It looks great.

• Carol Iden Sterling
    Carol Iden Sterling

What could I use to keep a swag of fall flowers above the door? I have used those clear contact hooks that you can put up pictures on a wall, but my vineal siding wouldn't keep them up, even though I washed the siding before putting them up. Any suggestions? Do not want to use nails.

• Holly
      Holly

Id use screws and paint the heads to match the house.

• Mary Ann
      Mary Ann

Have you tried cleaning the area of adhesion with alcohol first? It will remove any oils. I used the Contact Christmas light clips.

• Carolyn Lawrence
      Carolyn Lawrence

Go to Walmart and get the velcro hangers they can hang up to 24 lb each hanger if you need a hundred pounds on you use four of them there velcro they do no damage I hang everything up in my house with them every mirror every picture every shelf is hung with those super easy to use

• BrettaMcClennyKirby
      BrettaMcClennyKirby

Have you thought about using a staple gun?

• Lisa
      Lisa

Hot glue your clear plastic hook. It should peel off when your ready to take off.

• Pat
      Pat

I use the Velcro command hooks!! They work great.

• Tiffany Powell
    Tiffany Powell

Great job on your projects~ keep up the creativity ⭐️

• AriesTin Paluero
    AriesTin Paluero

Did you sand the door at all or just repaint over it? Any specific pain that you used that won’t show the previous color? How many coats?

• Julette Cherrington
    Julette Cherrington

What’s the least expensive way of purchasing kitchen cabinets? They don’t have to be new🤔

• Debi
      Debi

I've seen them many times on the Market place sites

• Eva
      Eva

If you have a habitat for humanity nearby, try them first.

• Rachael Basye
      Rachael Basye

Ditto to the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. That’s how we remodeled our kitchen. Got a huge corner cabinet with lazy Susan and pull out drawers for like $30 lol. Sand it down and paint it the same color as the rest of the kitchen and you can’t tell it wasn’t part of the original. You could also reface it to match your other cabinets. But yeah, I love that store. We’ve also bought tile and vinyl flooring as well as a couple door for the shed.

• Toni
      Toni

I'm just curious as to WHY u would ask an irrelevant question?? LMAO

• Ladybug*
      Ladybug*

Lots of restore places around just do a search on the Internet.

• AzLand Shafer
      AzLand Shafer

Why not restore them yourself with Rust-Oleum Transformations Cabinets and you could save alot of money. I would start at Home Depot.

• Lashonda
    Lashonda

What kind of paint was used for the door?

• Katdrummy
    Katdrummy

Okay. So in the spring do you paint again in the original color??

• Trish Brown
    Trish Brown

How would this work for a mobile home door?

• Anne D
    Anne D
    Yesterday

love the copper door.

Question???

What type of Brush did you use to apply the paint ?

Thank you so much.

Annie

• Carol Bellinger
    Carol Bellinger

The copper door is beautiful. I just bought black paint to do my front door. I will be returning it today. LOL. I must NOW have a copper door. Its beautiful

• Anita
    Anita

I just wanted to tell you that I loved the orange door better. I really like everything but the leaf on the wall. Great job.