Rustic Wood Sign For Fall

$25

Earlier this week I spilled the beans and told you how to find FREE leather for crafting.…hint hint it may involve destroying some furniture. I also shared 14 amazing leather craft ideas that left you just itching for some free leather of your own so you can give them a try (to see those posts, visit the full tutorial link at the bottom of this post). I’ve got tons of leather crafts on my way to you in the coming months and today is the first fun DIY project with my new leather hoard.

I wanted to create something with the rustic look of pallet wood….because you know how I feel about pallets. But, I also wanted to incorporate the leather look and tie it all together with a fall theme. I think leather is the PERFECT addition to your fall DIY projects, so you can expect to see more fall leather projects coming soon!

I’ve always loved the saying “thankful grateful blessed”….it sums up how I feel everyday. All of the emotions together in one simple saying. I love it’s got a simple nod to Fall & Thanksgiving, but versatile enough to use in your home decor all year round.’
Step 1. Lightly sand the pallet wood. I used 220 grit sand paper.
Step 2. Cut out stencils on Cameo. I use adhesive shelf liner from the Dollar Tree to cut out my stencils with the words “thankful grateful blessed”. Thankful Grateful Blessed Stencil Cameo Settings:Font: Playlist ScriptFont Size: 150Cut Settings: Vinyl (no other adjustments made to the Cameo settings)
Step 3. Paint over stencils. I have great tutorial on a sign making hack that will prevent bleeding under your stencil, so you can have nice crisp lines. To check it out, hop over to this post. This sign making hack has definitely changed the way that I DIY wood signs.
See those nice, crisp lines!!
Step 5. Cut leather into strips. Unless you purchased leather already in strips, you’ll want to cut your leather down to size. Using a rotary cutter on a cutting mat and holding a clear acrylic ruler in place makes it easy to cut your leather quickly and straight!
Step 6. Tie leather on pallet boards. Start by laying your boards out in a vertical row (my order was Thankful, Grateful and then Blessed). Starting at one of the corners on the bottom board, lay the leather under the board and wrap around to the top and gently tie a knot under the next board up. The middle wood plank will rest on top of this knot. Continue making your way up the boards adding a knot underneath the top board as well for it to rest upon. Step 7. Secure leather to pallet signs. Once you get the leather just right and the boards are level, you’ll want to secure the leather straps to the pallet wood to prevent the wood from not laying right or shifting around. I just added a small dot of 3-in-1 glue between the leather and the wood. I added glue to each board on the front and back sides. Hold the glued leather to the pallet wood for about 30 seconds until it sets.
I’m obsessed with how thankful grateful blessed pallet wood sign with leather straps turned out. I love how it totally fits in with fall decor and the boho farmhouse style that is totally me. For more details on this tutorial and to check out more pictures, hop over to the blog post link below!

• 3 pallet wood pieces
  • 220 grit sandpaper
  • White acrylic paint

Chelsea @ Making Manzanita

• Lar6372553

What if . You don't have one of those "cameo" things, what could you use?
    • DJ

Many stencils can be found on amazon or in michaels or hobby lobby.

1 comment