Hurricane tips

+12
Just wanted to let you all know we made it through Irma OK. I'm in Miami and I can tell you that Sunday was the longest day of our lives as the winds whipped through. We are not in an evacuation zone. We installed impact windows a couple of years ago so we did not have to shutter up so we could see the wind whipping and the trees bending. We lost power at 9:45 am Sunday and still don't have it back. All in all, we had a few trees down, fences bent and some tiles ripped off but nothing major. Luckily we have a generator so we powered it up Sunday night after the winds subsided and have kept our 2 fridges going, wifi and ceiling fans. I'm on well water so when the pump runs you can hear the generator struggling so we try to not tax it, It is SO HOT but we are not complaining. We were here for Andrew and this was 2nd worse. My neighborhood is an older large tract area with many trees and many streets are blocked and so many trees down it breaks your heart but they will come back. if you are in a hurricane prone area, I recommend investing in impact windows, have a generator (with enough gas for a few days) and have a gas grill with a burner you can cook on, IF YOU ARE IN AN EVACUATION ZONE, LEAVE EARLY ENOUGH!
e hurricane tips
One of my downed trees, a lychee, probably 25' high with a very full canopy
e hurricane tips
Tree at my neighbor's across the street.
  • Rose Broadway Rose Broadway on Sep 12, 2017
    So glad you made it without getting injured. There's a lot of clean-up and rebuilding to do in the path of the hurricanes and floods.

• Johnavallance82 Johnavallance82 on Sep 12, 2017
    Thank God you are okay!

• Very glad to hear that you are doing ok

• Peg Peg on Sep 12, 2017
    Good news that you and your family is ok. When I lived in Florida we had to evacuate due to threat of a hurricane but while it changed course, where we ended up staying had massive tornadoes touch down. While we were ok it caused me to change my mindset when threatening weather is at hand.

• Ana Bacallao Ana Bacallao on Sep 12, 2017
      It is tricky, lots of people from South Florida evacuated to the West Coast of Florida. It's never a sur thing.

• A A on Sep 12, 2017
    My daughter is in Ft. Myers. She came up to Jersey last week (so happy!). Her husband is a first responder, so he stayed to work. God bless those guys. Glad you were prepared and "weathered the storm". Great advice for the next one.

• So happy to hear you are ok! And you did the smart thing with the windows and generator. Be as prepared as you can be and it sounds like you did all the responsible things to be safe and ride it out. I feel for everyone as I have been watching non-stop on tv since Hurricane Harvey - even here on the West Coast the coverage is good and glad they are making progress to have utilities restored as soon as they can once roads are passable and water recedes. I have friends in Tampa and Ocala too. Just sit tight, (so sorry about the 90+ temps and humidity), but this too shall pass eventually. If you can, make ice cubes and wrap around your neck to keep you cooler at least temporarily. Praying for all the hurricane survivors!

• FL FL on Sep 12, 2017
    very glad to hear you made it through the worst. Keeping all of you in my thoughts and prayers.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Sep 12, 2017
    Glad to hear you made it through Irma with so little loss on your property. I too was in Florida (Naples) when Andrew went through. We spent about 50 dollars on damage to the lanai and that was it. We were lucky we were on the west coast. I worked in Miami and Ft. Lauderdale at that time and saw some of the damage, although it was much worse to the south. I was praying for all the Hometalkers that live in the path. So far so good!

• Terri Berger Terri Berger on Sep 13, 2017
    Glad to hear you and your family are safe! Must have been very scary! God bless you!

• Pat Ruge Pat Ruge on Sep 13, 2017
    As happy as we are to hear you made it through this horrific experience, food and water are your biggest concern. W/o electricity, you can expect the fridge to go out on you. Think, canning and pickling to preserve as much as you can. Hope you have the supplies to do that. God be with you and yours.

• Judy Judy on Oct 03, 2017
    Thankful your safety. Great reminder tips as well.