Transformations Using the Craft of Decoupage

$30

Decoupage is a traditional paper craft – the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts. The word decoupage comes from the French verb decouper, ‘to cut out’. It was in the 17th century that the craft reached its height of popularity with aristocrats, noble ladies as well as the more humble practitioners trying out the art of decoupage. Today, decoupage remains a popular craft with far reaching variations and many crafters’ use decoupage to add dimension to their work.
Lets look at an up cycling project today using this versatile technique.
1. Prepare surface
Once you have selected your item to decorate, make sure its surface is clean and dust free and apply a coat of gesso.  Gesso prepares (or “primes”) the surface for painting, making the surface slightly textured and ready to accept acrylic paint.
2. Glue the pictures in place
Select your pictures and cut them out, ensure you are happy with the positioning.  Apply a coat of decoupage glue and glue the pictures in place.
3. Paint the background 
Use acrylic or chalk paints to paint the surface around the picture.
4. Embellish 
I’m using a jute chord and crochet lace to add dimension to this decor element.
5. Seal the decoupage
Ensure the surface is dry before starting to varnish and leave the varnish to dry thoroughly between each coat.

Here are a few more of my decoupaged home decor projects:

• Acrylic paints
  • Decoupage paper
  • Gesso

15 Decor Projects That Will Make Your Home Beautiful
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Simple Projects Under 30 Min To Get You Ready For The Spring Season
Here's How You Can DIY The Hottest Home Decor Trends of 2018
25 Decor Ideas That Will Add Some Spring to Your Home
Ann Geo

• Annie pinho
    Annie pinho

how make it gesso in diy???

• Annie pinho
    Annie pinho

love it work!!! beautiful

• Val
      Val

Thanks for sharing the glue and water ratio. My grandson likes to paint plastic bottles and of course the paint would not stick. Can this be stored for future use or is it better to make a new batch each time?

• Mary scott
    Mary scott

Tried decouple these done ok made hanging pots out doors but bought a clear varnish still turn yellow why

• PWMarcus
      PWMarcus

The varnish will turn yellow in the sun. Find a clear spray sealant with UV protection to finish.

• Meera
    Meera

It’s great work. I do crackling and decoupage too. You explained so well step by step. Have many bottles waiting to be decorated. I’m going too do with craft paste, air dry clay and decoupage. I loved your craft. Please come up with more ideas. Thank you. God bless.🙏🕉

• Grama Kathy
    Grama Kathy

I can’t wait to try! I have fabric scraps, napkins and Christmas wrapping paper! Thanks - I didn’t know about using Guesso