Transformations Using the Craft of Decoupage

$30

Decoupage is a traditional paper craft – the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts. The word decoupage comes from the French verb decouper, ‘to cut out’. It was in the 17th century that the craft reached its height of popularity with aristocrats, noble ladies as well as the more humble practitioners trying out the art of decoupage. Today, decoupage remains a popular craft with far reaching variations and many crafters’ use decoupage to add dimension to their work.
Lets look at an up cycling project today using this versatile technique.
1. Prepare surface
Once you have selected your item to decorate, make sure its surface is clean and dust free and apply a coat of gesso.  Gesso prepares (or “primes”) the surface for painting, making the surface slightly textured and ready to accept acrylic paint.
2. Glue the pictures in place
Select your pictures and cut them out, ensure you are happy with the positioning.  Apply a coat of decoupage glue and glue the pictures in place.
3. Paint the background 
Use acrylic or chalk paints to paint the surface around the picture.
4. Embellish 
I’m using a jute chord and crochet lace to add dimension to this decor element.
5. Seal the decoupage
Ensure the surface is dry before starting to varnish and leave the varnish to dry thoroughly between each coat.

Here are a few more of my decoupaged home decor projects:

• Acrylic paints
  • Decoupage paper
  • Gesso

Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
Get Ready For The Baseball Season With These Great Projects
Keep Your Craft Supplies Organized With These Fun Storage Ideas
25 Ways You Can Be an Artist - With No Experience Necessary!
The Wonderful Things You Can Make With...Paper!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Ann Geo

• Meera
    Meera

It’s great work. I do crackling and decoupage too. You explained so well step by step. Have many bottles waiting to be decorated. I’m going too do with craft paste, air dry clay and decoupage. I loved your craft. Please come up with more ideas. Thank you. God bless.🙏🕉

• Grama Kathy
    Grama Kathy

I can’t wait to try! I have fabric scraps, napkins and Christmas wrapping paper! Thanks - I didn’t know about using Guesso