Transformations Using the Craft of Decoupage

$30

Decoupage is a traditional paper craft – the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts. The word decoupage comes from the French verb decouper, ‘to cut out’. It was in the 17th century that the craft reached its height of popularity with aristocrats, noble ladies as well as the more humble practitioners trying out the art of decoupage. Today, decoupage remains a popular craft with far reaching variations and many crafters’ use decoupage to add dimension to their work.
Lets look at an up cycling project today using this versatile technique.
1. Prepare surface
Once you have selected your item to decorate, make sure its surface is clean and dust free and apply a coat of gesso.  Gesso prepares (or “primes”) the surface for painting, making the surface slightly textured and ready to accept acrylic paint.
2. Glue the pictures in place
Select your pictures and cut them out, ensure you are happy with the positioning.  Apply a coat of decoupage glue and glue the pictures in place.
3. Paint the background 
Use acrylic or chalk paints to paint the surface around the picture.
4. Embellish 
I’m using a jute chord and crochet lace to add dimension to this decor element.
5. Seal the decoupage
Ensure the surface is dry before starting to varnish and leave the varnish to dry thoroughly between each coat.

Here are a few more of my decoupaged home decor projects:

• Acrylic paints
  • Decoupage paper
  • Gesso

3 Fantastic Step-By-Step Ideas What To Do With Pallets!
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Check Out These 30 Incredible Floor Transformations Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
15 Amazing Things You Can Do With Paint Stirrers
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
The 25 Most-Viewed Mason Jar Projects on Hometalk
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
3 Gorgeous And Unique Ideas To Display Your Plants
30 Great Ideas For Every Pet Owner!
Ann Geo

• Annie pinho

how make it gesso in diy???

• Annie pinho

love it work!!! beautiful

• Val

Thanks for sharing the glue and water ratio. My grandson likes to paint plastic bottles and of course the paint would not stick. Can this be stored for future use or is it better to make a new batch each time?

• Mary scott

Tried decouple these done ok made hanging pots out doors but bought a clear varnish still turn yellow why

• PWMarcus

The varnish will turn yellow in the sun. Find a clear spray sealant with UV protection to finish.

• Dee

Yes, I too love to decoupage. Here are a few things I have done using napkins.

As you can see, I love Crabs, since we have them here in MD.

The 2 pics with the flowers and pumpkins, are just pictures that I printed on regular paper, trimmed to size and the burned the edges a tiny bit with a long lighter.

( I don't have anything else to use to burn the edges, so I just experminted.)

• See More
  • Meera

It’s great work. I do crackling and decoupage too. You explained so well step by step. Have many bottles waiting to be decorated. I’m going too do with craft paste, air dry clay and decoupage. I loved your craft. Please come up with more ideas. Thank you. God bless.🙏🕉

• Your comment...