Ann Geo
Ann Geo
  • India

Transformations Using the Craft of Decoupage

$30

Decoupage is a traditional paper craft – the art of decorating an object by gluing colored paper cutouts. The word decoupage comes from the French verb decouper, ‘to cut out’. It was in the 17th century that the craft reached its height of popularity with aristocrats, noble ladies as well as the more humble practitioners trying out the art of decoupage. Today, decoupage remains a popular craft with far reaching variations and many crafters’ use decoupage to add dimension to their work.
Lets look at an up cycling project today using this versatile technique.
transformations using the craft of decoupage
1. Prepare surface
Once you have selected your item to decorate, make sure its surface is clean and dust free and apply a coat of gesso.  Gesso prepares (or “primes”) the surface for painting, making the surface slightly textured and ready to accept acrylic paint.
2. Glue the pictures in place
Select your pictures and cut them out, ensure you are happy with the positioning.  Apply a coat of decoupage glue and glue the pictures in place.
3. Paint the background 
Use acrylic or chalk paints to paint the surface around the picture.
4. Embellish 
I’m using a jute chord and crochet lace to add dimension to this decor element.
5. Seal the decoupage
Ensure the surface is dry before starting to varnish and leave the varnish to dry thoroughly between each coat.

Here are a few more of my decoupaged home decor projects:

• Acrylic paints
  • Decoupage paper
  • Gesso
Ann Geo

• Anne

Since, am in a place where I can't get most of these things especially the varnish,is there another alternative to it?. I love your work.

• Ann Geo

Varnish is used for the finishing, however it's fine even if you skip the varnish.

You can find varnish at some of the craft stores or at a shop that sells house paint supplies.

• Joan

Can you do gesso and let dry completely and paint the bottle first then apply your image....instead of painting arohnd the image with paint......in case the paint gets on image or it is cut out differently????

• Jean Toft

I’m new to this craft and I’ve tried both ways and so far I’ve found stick then paint better.

• Kathy

What kind of varnish do you use ??