Lisa Woelk
Lisa Woelk
  • Australia

French Country Dressing Table Makeover

$40

Using chalk paint and a ragging paint technique I give this dark dressing table a light and airy French Country inspired makeover.

french country dressing table makeover
This is the dressing table we are starting with. First I removed all the handles and mirror ready for sanding.
french country dressing table makeover
I gave the whole piece a very light sand to remove any surface scratches.

french country dressing table makeover
I made my own chalk paint using ⅓ cup of plaster of paris mixed with ⅓ cup of water, then add this mix to 1 cup of paint in the colour of your choice, I used Tranquil Retreat by Accent.
french country dressing table makeover
I applied this homemade chalk paint using a foam roller brush. And after the first coast dried I covered it again with a second coat.
french country dressing table makeover
Next I used a slightly darker grey colour Stormy Shadow by Accent. I poured a small amount into a container and watered it down to a runny watery consistency.
french country dressing table makeover
Using a damp rag I dipped this into the watered down paint and started to buff in the darker grey in circular motions over the whole piece. I let it dry and then applied another coat in the same way over the entire piece.
french country dressing table makeover
I then lightly applied some white paint using a dry brush technique over the edges of the dressing table to give it an 'aged' look.
french country dressing table makeover
For the mirror frame I applied some rhinestone mesh around the border and glued it into place with some E6000 glue.
french country dressing table makeover
I applied some new handles to the piece and we are done.
french country dressing table makeover
Here a close up of the paint finish.
french country dressing table makeover
And the finished piece.

We want to help you DIY, so some of the materials in this post are linked to sellers. Just so you know, Hometalk may collect a small share of sales from the links on this page.

• Nan22425932

Beautiful job! Did you make a chalk paint of the darker gray coat before watering it down & applying with the rag? Thank you

• Annie

Hi fellow Australian did you seal this wonderful piece if so what with thanks

• Sj

Why use plaster of paris in the paint I'm about to start this project.

• Barbara

Plaster of Paris is used to make chalk paint out of almost any paint. You can buy chalk paint already mixed, but it is a lot cheaper, and you have more choice of colors if you make your own. Enjoy using your own homemade chalkpaint! You'll become addicted!