Eliminate mold and mildew in basement.

+6
After a year or two a thin layer of mildew accumulates on wood and paper surfaces. It can be wiped off easily but is their a prevention? Dehumidifier?

• Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 15, 2017

Wash off what ever has the mold and mildew with white vinegar and water 50/50,run a dehumidifier and use Damp Rid
  • Big lulu Big lulu on Sep 15, 2017
    yes get a dehumidifier
  • Mna29978682 Mna29978682 on Sep 15, 2017
    Kilz seems to be the only thing other than bleach that kills mold

• Kim Humber Kim Humber on Sep 16, 2017
    Concrobium in a spray or fog , can be found in Home Depot. Non-toxic. Also get the dehumidifier but keeping the basement dust free also helps as the mildew usually starts in the dust first.

• See 1 previous
    • Kim Humber Kim Humber on Sep 18, 2017
      I was at Home Depot the other day and Concrobium was also being sold in a spray-can size fogging spray. I think it would be important to check the measurements of the room against the coverage area on the can as for a really large area, say a basement without defined rooms the larger fogger might be needed.

• P.A.L. P.A.L. on Sep 16, 2017
    Use a dehumidifier and keep a florescent light on at all times.
  • Karen Karen on Sep 16, 2017
    I live in Salem, Oregon area and our Curves fitness is in an old building that when it rains - boy! They put a dehumidifier in and it has helped a lot and I have personally learned that hydrogen peroxide is great for fungus - I take the lid off and screw on a sprayer and use it like windex