Zebra plant

I just purchased 2 Zebra plants that are beautiful about 1ft tall lots of leaves and even bracs beginning. They are in 4" pots, when should I transplant them into a larger pot I understand that their roots grow downward. I have killed about 4 of these by planting them in too large of a pot. Thanks for any info. I have checked the sites referring to these but they don't say size of pots for size of plants.

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Sep 15, 2017
    I usually don't transplant into bigger pots until they get root bound in their present pot. If you are getting flower bracts, I wouldn't do anything as you could lose them when they go into the initial shock and dormancy when you transplant.
    • See 1 previous
      Thank you for such a compliment. I try to pass on what I have learned through the years since I started pulling weeds for my mom at about six years of age ( about fifty six years ago), I just hope that it is right, Even now I am still learning and will probably never stop. Thanks again. I hope your Zebra plants will do well in their new home!
  • I found some interesting notes about zebra plants here:
    • Penne Johnson Penne Johnson on Sep 15, 2017
      Thank you Elizabeth, I had already read this Gardeners helpers info on theZebras. I am going to follow Nancy above advise and just leave them alone for the time being. Thanks for taking time to answer me. Penne
  • Janet Pizaro Janet Pizaro on Sep 15, 2017
    Check the plant for pot bound roots,if they are