Asked on Sep 15, 2017

How many years can a Ficus Tree live.

EdZorn LoriGra25191093
+5

I have had one in my home for around 30 years but lately it has been losing more leaves than usual.

• DesertRose
    DesertRose

Be sure it is getting the humidity and drainage it needs. It may need repotted? You might try misting it if you run an air conditioner (they take out humidity).
  • Suzette
    Suzette

Good luck!
  • Big lulu
    Big lulu

Even though it is a house plant it will drop some leaves in the fall.
    Yes, try re-potting into a slightly larger pot with fresh soil added. Feed it spring thru fall.
  • Blaire Simpson Oslander
    Blaire Simpson Oslander

Might be pot bound. If you can't manage to transplant into a larger pot (by just 1", so a 16" into an 18 or 20") you can drill 1/2" holes into the root ball and stuff them with compost. You can also take the tree out of the pot, shave the outer inch of roots with something like a bread knife and then repot into the old pot with new soil. I'd also take it outside when the temps are between 55 and 95, and hose it off when you're watering your other plants. You can use a wheelbarrow to move it, or keep it on a saucer with wheels to give your back a break. Ficus are very sensitive to humidity and light, have you moved it recently? You can also prune off the dead parts, but pay attention, there may be tiny green leaves forming at the ends of branches. Once you find where it's happy, it will send out new leaves.
  • Earlene
    Earlene

Try replacing the soil or just adding some fresh. It will go into shock when moved or tampered with, so be patient.
  • Gra25191093
    Gra25191093

Thanks for all of your answers. I will try some of them on my Ficus.

• Zorn Lori
    Zorn Lori

Every year I move my Ficus Tree indoors and use Super Thrive on it through the fall and winter months. It sheds very few leaves and puts new ones on. I have had this tree for 30 plus years. I prune it back in the fall just before moving it indoors. I swear by the Super Thrive! It keeps shock at bay for sure.

• Ed
    Ed

i have my indoor ficus tree for 40 years now , which I bought at Montgomery ward When they were still in business. my only issue is aphids and occasional dropping of leaves when moved . .