Asked on Sep 17, 2017

How do I insulate my outbuilding roof?

Twyla J BoyerKayEmily
+5

I use an outbuilding as a painting studio.its turning cold and I need to insulate the roof. It's corrugated clear sheets so the light comes in for my working there. But in winter its really cold in there. any ideas?I have no budget for a builder so it has to be diy..

• Allison Newby
    Allison Newby

If your painting studio is relatively small and your budget is as well I would call some local places that put up car garages and carports and ask if you could possibly have some of the scrap insulation if there is any (which there always is a ton leftover and big pieces too) from one of there jobs whenever they are through. I'm sure they would tell you what you need to get put up and everything. You're going to need double sided tape and an extra person. Also, when you place your insulation up be sure to overlap the sides of it when you put another piece on. So they will hold themselves up kinda and no air can come in through the cracks. You might have to put up a few beams to also hold it up but I have faith you can do it. Check out youtube and watch a few videos on how to put up insulation in shed/paint studio and I bet you'll understand more so what I am talking about. Best of luck! You can do this Kay!
  • Dfm
    Dfm

batt insulation can be itchy to work with. Wear gloves, tuck pant legs into boots, wear long sleeves.
  • Ebbjdl
    Ebbjdl

Your question has one answer that you supplied, but what is really the end result you want? If you insulated the roof, then you have no light. If you insulated the side of the walls, you would have the warmth you want. When the sun shines through the roof, you get some warmth, most of the day. I would insulate the sides of your studio. When the sun comes in, the insulation will keep the heat in. You don't say if you have a space heater, or your only getting warmth from the sun? Good Luck!

• Sono Arima
    Sono Arima

I have an ongoing simular problem with my artist studio space, with the exception that my only natural light source are two 10' x 5' windows within a room with 15' ceilings. You might want to add a large inexpensive carpet/area rug that will help, for sure. Consider getting a large sheet of plastic, and attach it like a drop ceiling or canapy, that will keep some of the heat inside and less escaping through your roof without taking away from most of your natural light source.
  • Emily
    Emily

You could also try to find some old windows or pieces of plexiglass to put up near the corrugated pieces. Or you could stretch heavy duty clear plastic on frames (sort of like stretching a canvas) and nail them up.
  • Kay
    Kay

I like the idea of attaching a sheet of plastic to the underside.. I think I will try that. Thank you everyone! X
  • Twyla J Boyer
    Twyla J Boyer

Make sure to leave air space between the plastic sheeting and the corrugated roofing. And even do two layers of plastic with a little space in between. The insulation's effectiveness is largely from the air trapped between layers, similar to double or triple paned windows.

If you have some building skills and spare strips of wood or pool noodles or something, you could tighten up the plastic by nailing or stapling it up then using wood strips or pool noodles along the edges to push it up a little (making it tighter). The wood strips or pool noodles could then be nailed in place, too, keeping the whole thing taut and sort of framing out the insulating plastic for a more finished look.
    • Kay
      Kay

Two layers would be even better! Great idea, thank you! X