Barbara Stanley
Barbara Stanley
  • Hendersonville, NC

My Potting Shed, AKA Crickhollow Cottage

My husband and I turned a basic child's playhouse into my potting shed and MY playhouse, using recycled and re-purposed treasures collected from thrift stores and rescued from being destined for the landfill. We added the picket fence railing and bridge, rose topiary-themed shutters, and an octagon window. The inside is paneled in bead board, with an antique tin ceiling found at a Habitat ReStore in Charleston, SC. The potting bench is a galvanized baker's center with a butcher-block counter taken out of a local school during demolition of the cafeteria.
My potting shed during my favorite season! We live in the Blue Ridge mountains on a wooded 25 acre property.
A fall view of Crickhollow cottage, with the Kwanzan cherry tree in all its splendor.
An early May view, with pinks and astilbe
This photo won the Mother Earth News magazine's Great Garden Shed show-off contest. I won a $500 gift card to Lee Valley Tools and the pic was published in the March 2012 issue.

• Liz Wolf

I'm a writer working on an article on She Sheds. Could I interview you and use photos of your cool space? It's for the SpareFoot Blog. thanks, Liz Wolf

• Liz Wolf

Absolutely. And I can't believe your email landed in my Spam folder!

• Bryan Adler

Do you have plans for the original playhouse? I would love to build this for my daughter.

• Barbara Stanley

Bryan, you daughter is very fortunate to have such a loving and ambitious father! I'm afraid that I can't give you plans, as we bought the playhouse from an Amish company many years ago. We added a lot of details, interior and exterior, but did not build the basic structure. I hope you find some plans that you like!

• Tina Gary Carter

My lil shed

, I am currently repainting remodeling it It used to be a playhouse that was built to match our house in early 1900s
    • Barbara Stanley

That is so adorable! I love the colors, and the spreader container planter is great! Thanks for showing me, and I hope you'll post it when you finish remodeling.

• Deborah J Ellenburg

This is the prettiest little romantic she shed I have ever seen. And those tulips!! This whole little place is to die for! Way to go!!!